Pool Cover Woes

Aug 1, 2015
Wheatfield, NY
CAN'T KEEP THE COVER ON.

24' Above ground pool. We always put on a 28' cover, based on past experience. The edge of the cover has a cable thru the grommets, PLUS we put a second cable right at the top of the pool. Additionally, the cover is clipped all around the edge. I fill the cover with a few hundred gallons of water. There is a balloon (pillow) in the middle under the cover.

The pool's location is in an open spot, so any normal wind is directed right at it. Yesterday we had a wind storm, with gusts topping out at 70 mph. I spent the entire day replacing the blown off clips and tightening the cables every 20 minutes.

When it gets windy the cover billows up like a balloon. When a gust pops it up violently, it pops off the clips.

We are in a freezing climate so I can't keep the water level high or add more water to the cover because it may crack the fittings.

The problem is only prevalent when it thaws. If I have a full layer of ice around the top, the weight of it holds down the cover. When it thaws the water is forced to the leeward side, and hence the billowing of the empty side.

Is there a better way to secure the cover?

That is the same thing that I did with my winter cover this year. I criss crossed the ropes over the top like a spider web and weighted them down with half filled jugs of water. It worked great. After fighting the cover in past years with wind ballooning it up the cover in past years this was 100% better.

This is what I do. Water jugs and rope. It may be a little overkill but the cover held with the wind the other day. The leaf net in the picture does not stay on during the winter. I also added grommets to the cover for a much better fit around the pool rail.
Larry

This is the first year we have done the bleach bottles filled with water and other than having to bail a little water off the top of our cover.....it has help beautifully this winter. We will be opening this weekend and hope to be enjoying some clear blue water soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.