Pool cover - was quoted $1200

joem1cha3l

May 23, 2020
NY
For a ultra fine mesh cover. Its a 16' x 32' in ground without any steps. They said they would take my old cover and use it as a template. We have a TON of leaves and they sat on the old cover and broke down all year long to the point where the pool took 2.5 weeks to clean and clear up when we opened it. I will be cleaning the leaves off this fall every couple of weeks. It was out first winter in this new house.

Does $1200 seem expensive? Its definitely more than I was expecting,..

Hi jb. I didn't get other quotes. After I looked at their website, it was exactly what I was looking for. Looked tight fitting, and brass anchors on the deck to secure it tightly.

They get busy this time of year because leaves will be falling soon.

Contact them via their website, have a salesperson visit you, and ask all your questions.

Reactions: jb
My loop lock cover was $2700 (and change) installed. I have seen plenty where people spent up to $7k if they have an odd size/shape or need lots of custom work around waterfalls/ladders handrails etc.

There is an ongoing debate between the generic brand covers and the ‘big 3’. That debate will probably continue forever. If your quote was a name brand cover I believe it’s a fair price. Considering the people and supply shortages along with demand through the roof this year I think it’s a STEAL.

Hi jb. I didn't get other quotes. After I looked at their website, it was exactly what I was looking for. Looked tight fitting, and brass anchors on the deck to secure it tightly.

They get busy this time of year because leaves will be falling soon.

Contact them via their website, have a salesperson visit you, and ask all your questions.

Thanks. Please let us know how the install goes.

My loop lock cover was $2700 (and change) installed. I have seen plenty where people spent up to $7k if they have an odd size/shape or need lots of custom work around waterfalls/ladders handrails etc.

There is an ongoing debate between the generic brand covers and the ‘big 3’. That debate will probably continue forever. If your quote was a name brand cover I believe it’s a fair price. Considering the people and supply shortages along with demand through the roof this year I think it’s a STEAL.
Who are the big three, if I may?

Agree with ND. Our Merlin was $3K installed 7 years ago. 18 x 38.

I would buy it all over again under the same circumstances. It’s in great shape. But I won’t buy another one because whenever I buy it, I won’t need it to last as long due to expected time in the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Though I can't comment on the price since the original owner bought mine when the pool was built 24 yrs back. I'm still using it and still holds strong with a few minor torn marks due to the drags. 3 yrs back one of my friend (180lbs) was playing Frisbee and ended up standing in the middle of the pool until he realized wetness under his feet. Thanks to the loop loc cover. Ended up with my wife putting her foot down to get the fence installed.

We’ve had our Katchaleaf cover for 13 years and are still very happy with it, although putting it on seems to hurt my back more each year. 🙂 I don’t remember the exact price, but it was in the $2k range. Like most other good investments, you’ll quickly forget what you paid as you appreciate what it does.

Reactions: Newdude
jark, looks like your pool is a mirror image of mine. Typically what months do you keep it covered. I'm thinking early/mid Sept through mid/late May.

Have you had any managment issues that I need to hear about?

I just sent Katchaleaf a request for info. Hopefully I end up as happy as you guys. Besides the deciduous leaves, I have 2 LIve Oaks hanging over my pool. I've perervered for 15 years, but enough is enough, I'm ready for a cover.

I chose green (alpine). And I'm happy I did.

They do not cover the skimmer covers, so they will be accessible.

Not sure you will need the cleaner. I left my Kreepy in. The leaf cover doesn't interfere with it, but I don't think Kreepy will find much to pick up.

A Katchakid sales person will call you. A visit to your home will help you get all your questions answered.

Good luck.

Another thing, when the sales lady initially called me, I told her to look at my pool on Google Earth and use the earth measuring tool to measure my pool/spa dimensions. She prepared my quote from that.
What a time to be alive !!! Not everything in today's world is bad. Most of it probably, but not ALL of it.

jark, looks like your pool is a mirror image of mine. Typically what months do you keep it covered. I'm thinking early/mid Sept through mid/late May.

Have you had any managment issues that I need to hear about?
I usually don’t get the cover on until early October. It usually comes off in April, or right after those worm-looking red oak seeds drop. No management issues with the cover. It came already attached to a roller/cage made out of PVC, which makes rolling it up for storage pretty easy. It also facilitates putting it on, as I don’t have to figure out the orientation of the cover to the pool - it’s already rolled up in the right orientation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.