Pool cover question for above ground pool

RICH68

Aug 9, 2010
Hi,
I am a first time pool owner and installed an 18x33 oval pool. I put trex decking aroud the entire pool. Not over the railing but right up to it. For a winter cover, do I install anchors in the deck and buy an inground pool cover or simply use water bags?
Thanks,
Rich

Welcome to TFP.

You can probably do either, depending on how the decking abuts the pool. The safety cover is more convenient as it's never going to blow away and won't accumulate leaves and other stuff over the winter.

How Long Can I leave my solar cover on

Hi,
I am going on vacation for 8 days. Can I leave my solar cover on for the full time. My pump will be running from 9am-&pm as well for the whole week. Is it OK to leave cover on and let the pump run?
Thx,
Rich

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP.

You can probably do either, depending on how the decking abuts the pool. The safety cover is more convenient as it's never going to blow away and won't accumulate leaves and other stuff over the winter.

I do. I raise my FC level up high and then cover and leave filter running.

For your winter cover - we have a 1 inch gap to slide the cover in and under. I've seen folks just use water bags on that area and also use those big landscape retaining wall stones. Is your deck all the way around?

Hi,
Thanks yes it is decked all around. I was thinking of the water bags too just want to make sure that this will keep my water as clean as possible over the winter. I am in New York and the winters are brutal. Can you suggest a great pool cover for an 18x33 oval above ground?

A middle of the range tarp-type winter cover will do the job fine. Then use water bags/stones to weigh it down. The safety-type anchor covers meant for ig pools let light and water thru - so I wouldn't go that route for an AG pool.

The key with keeping the water underneath clear is to close (properly) late in the year and open early :) I usually close in mid-late October.

Seriously - open after the last chance for freeze but before the water turns 60 degrees. Keep the rain/snowmelt water drained from the cover by using a cover pump or sub-pump, especially in the spring when it will heat up and turn funky. Drain it completely before you try to take it off so that any gunk on top doesn't fall into the water underneath.

Living in NH I have to deal with covers and snow. I have the same size pool and use a 3x15 pillow in the middle then a regular winter cover. You can use the bags to set it up but I would add rope from the grommets to your deck rails for added strength. The snow gets really heavy and may pull the cover out from under the bags then you get a ton of leaves in the pool. Ask me how I know about leaves... :rant: I have one side that is completely decked and that is the hardest side to deal with. Last year I crawled under the deck to loop my cover cable, that was a pain and I found a bees nest in the process. One other thing to think of is how the wind blows in the winter and having that part of the cover really tight to the pool edge although this issue may be limited having a deck all the way around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.