Pool cover during SLAM

Jezza

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jan 18, 2015
Bunbury, WA, Australia
I am currently in the process of slamming my pool. I have been going for 4 days and now into the 5th day. My question is regarding the use of a pool cover during the process. Due to a low level of Cya, pitching at 30, my theory is by using the pool cover during the day I can reduce the loss of chlorine due to sunlight while shocking. The pool is crystal clear and has been the whole time, consistent recordings of 0.5 CC. My OCLT recordings are failing by drops of 2.5 to 2.0 FC over the course of the 4 days (2.0 drop last night)and have kept the pool cover on for the past 2 nights. Should I take the pool cover off during the OCLT for a more reliable reading.? Also just wondering what a reasonable time frame for passing the OCLT would be keeping in mind the information provided?

There is no point in putting the cover on at night. Chlorine is consumed by.....

1. Organics in your pool water

2. UV light from the sun

That's it so there is no loss from UV at night and subsequently no need to cover the pool.

Honestly, I don't like the cover on the pool at all until the SLAM is complete. Pools like to breathe and the exposure to UV also helps in removing any buildup of cc's you might have. Also, the affect of high FC on any cover is not great and, I know you're not using solar covers, but is quite degrading to them.

I think what ever you save in FC loss is offset by the trouble of putting the cover on and the (low) possibility of some side effects.

Ok pool cover is off. Just wondering roughly how long to pass the OCLT based on last nights loss of 2.0ppm and other information provided.

Wish I could tell you, but it's different in every pool. Depending on how bad the water was when you started, expect several more days perhaps. If it was pretty dark green or nearly black, it usually takes a couple of weeks and more.

Ok pool cover is off. Just wondering roughly how long to pass the OCLT based on last nights loss of 2.0ppm and other information provided.

I'm 16 days into a slam. I rarely lose more than 2 ppm per night and just a touch cloudy in deep end. But there is something that just won't die. So it could be a while more, even with that small overnight loss. Good luck!

Yay passed the oclt with overnight loss of 0.5 so I guess I'm finally done. Keep at it Rere. I've gained so much knowledge from the forum and various posters on this site and can't speak highly enough about the friendly advice that is given. It certainly has opened my eyes up to what's involved in running a pool.I'll certainly be recommending to my friends over here in Oz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.