Pool Cover cleaning and folding

RobHudson

Aug 25, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
I opened my pool about a month ago (first time by myself) and stupidly just pulled the cover off to the side of the pool without cleaning it or folding it. Now I'm kind of stuck. I need some ideas on how to both clean and fold it.

As far as cleaning goes, I assume I'm going to have to put this out on the lawn to clean it. And, since it's kind of crumpled up and dirty, I'll probably need to clean both sides. Can't use any chemicals that would kill the lawn. I do have a power washer if that helps.

As far as folding goes, I've watched videos on folding the cover "like an accordion". There's no chance in heck mine will fold up as easy as the videos on youtube. It's not rectangle and it's flexible. I can attempt the accordion folds, but I'm almost sure it won't go well.

Finally, I don't have a lot of help to move this monstrosity. It's basically me and my wife. So, if you have any tips for hauling this thing around, they'd be appreciated. I have a hand truck for once it's rolled up... assuming I ever it get to that point :(

I lay out my pool cover on my driveway and hose it off and let it dry on a warm day. I would not use a pressure washer on it. It does not need to get sparkling clean.

I have a Meyco solid cover on my 20x50' pool that is heavy. It takes two strong guys to fold the cover so it fits into its storage bag. It is definitely a two person job and takes some practice to know when to fold it and when to roll it. You and your wife will need to give it a try a few times as you learn. It is good couple teamwork building.

Even my pool opening guys use a hand truck to move the cover around.

I lay out my pool cover on my driveway and hose it off and let it dry on a warm day. I would not use a pressure washer on it. It does not need to get sparkling clean.

I have a Meyco solid cover on my 20x50' pool that is heavy. It takes two strong guys to fold the cover so it fits into its storage bag. It is definitely a two person job and takes some practice to know when to fold it and when to roll it. You and your wife will need to give it a try a few times as you learn. It is good couple teamwork building.

Could you elaborate on the when to fold it and when to roll it? I’m guessing by that comment it’s not just fold up into a long rectangle and then roll it?

As I recall watching the guys they fold it along the long dimension and then once they get it to the size of the bag they roll it the other way. My bag is a bit over 4 feet tall. So fold it until you have it stacked 4' wide and then roll that 4' stack.

We did it!!!!! And yes, it was a good couples teamwork experience. Ha ha. We were still speaking to each other at the end of it, so that’s a plus.

Reactions: Newdude
Hey wait a minute. You posted pics of the cover laying next to the pool. You must have pics of the cover all rolled up.

:nopic:

It isn't that hard I do my mesh looplock every year by myself. I pull it off to the side and fold it in half, half again, etc. Then fold it length wise. It all fits in the bag it came in and I store it in my basement under my pool table. Mine doesn't really need to be cleaned. I pull it off basically upside down as I "peel" it back from the pool so anything on the top is off. Cleaning it depends on how dirty it is. If it is just leaves, use a blower before you remove it. If it needs more, on a sunny day power wash it. After I fold it up it usually has a little water from the pool in it so I'll let it sit on the deck in the sun for a day or 2 to dry off.

Here is a video of me putting it on. Next year I'll do one taking it off.

Reactions: an1vrsy
As I recall watching the guys they fold it along the long dimension and then once they get it to the size of the bag they roll it the other way. My bag is a bit over 4 feet tall. So fold it until you have it stacked 4' wide and then roll that 4' stack.

Up until this year, I would remove some of the straps from the anchors so I could fold it along the long dimension and then roll the approximate 4' wide rectangle at the end. While folding it, the middle would always end up dipping down into the water, making it heavy to fold. I saw a video where they folding along the short dimension. I tried it this year and it was easier to handle. Next fall, I'm thinking it may be easier to unfold and stretch across the surface. We will see.

It isn't that hard I do my mesh looplock every year by myself. I pull it off to the side and fold it in half, half again, etc. Then fold it length wise. It all fits in the bag it came in and I store it in my basement under my pool table. Mine doesn't really need to be cleaned. I pull it off basically upside down as I "peel" it back from the pool so anything on the top is off. Cleaning it depends on how dirty it is. If it is just leaves, use a blower before you remove it. If it needs more, on a sunny day power wash it. After I fold it up it usually has a little water from the pool in it so I'll let it sit on the deck in the sun for a day or 2 to dry off.

Here is a video of me putting it on. Next year I'll do one taking it off.

Nice video. I'm curious which brand cover this is? Is it rated for Northeast winter weather?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.