NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
First time pool owner so forgive my ignorance…

If you have a mesh safety cover or even solid with mesh drain panels, water can still pass through but not debris. These are easier to maintain compared to a solid cover that needs a pump running to clear water that is on top of the cover. Can the water level ever get too high inside the pool though with the mesh covers? I doubt it will be an issue since water needs to be drained below the returns and that needs to be quite a lot of rain/snow to overflow the pool but still a random thought I had today.

Hey Mrm !!! You should expect about 3 feet of off season precipitation in NJ. How you choose to get rid of it is up to you. You can do 6 inches 6 times, a foot 3 times, etc.

I started 18 inches low and it was full to the brim right about the time it was about to freeze so I hit a 2nd 18 inches mid winter. By opening it was completely full again. One or two particularly wet years I had to drain a 2nd time in late winter / early spring.

any overflow will most likely get under your patio and possibly undermine it. Or freeze thaw it out of whack if it’s still cold. So keep tabs on it once a month to make sure you catch it in time to drain. Pop a corner, take a peek, see that you have 10 inches to go and check again next month.

Once it’s frozen you have to leave it be until it completely melts. The sheet of ice may have razor sharp edges in spots that would laugh at the vinyl.

How do you drain? Submersible pump? Is it easy enough to remove a couple of straps from the cover and drop the pump in? Glad I asked because I was thinking you just close it and forget it until the spring. Guess not!

I have a tarp cover and I don't drain water off the top until spring when I'm ready to open. I see that's not what you are asking, though sorry!

How do you drain? Submersible pump
I bought a 1/3 Hp submersible pump from Lowe’s for about $125. The smaller ones were cheaper but it’s a slow process so I figured the extra ooomph was well worth the money. Amazon/HD/ hardware stores all have them.

I also hooked a sprinkler coupler to it and 1 inch irrigation pipe to turbocharge the output seen here. It turned the all day event into a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.