Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I'm using my pool so much this year I'm looking to extend the season with a pool cover. I had a floating "bubble wrap" type one, years ago. I was thinking about getting new ones, since the old one was thrown out about 10 years ago.

Anyway, then I started thinking about hydrogen production, the little bubbles coming out of the jets. They might collect under the plastic floating cover. Most of my bubble are in the spa area, so I could leave that uncovered.

Anyone cover a pool with a solar cover and a SWG?

I'm using my pool so much this year I'm looking to extend the season with a pool cover. I had a floating "bubble wrap" type one, years ago. I was thinking about getting new ones, since the old one was thrown out about 10 years ago.

Anyway, then I started thinking about hydrogen production, the little bubbles coming out of the jets. They might collect under the plastic floating cover. Most of my bubble are in the spa area, so I could leave that uncovered.

Anyone cover a pool with a solar cover and a SWG?
I'm not at all sure and I don't have a cover, but H2 is a VERY small molecule and I suspect the cover would not hold it for very long. Just my guess though.

Sure. A solar cover is not all that sealing. I have mine in three pieces to make it manageable.

You will be able to reduce your chlorine generation as you will be reducing the UV impact.

I'm not at all sure and I don't have a cover, but H2 is a VERY small molecule and I suspect the cover would not hold it for very long. Just my guess though.

In the long term, you are right. But short term, it could build up. I can put a few "holes" in the cover for this.

Sure. A solar cover is not all that sealing. I have mine in three pieces to make it manageable.

You will be able to reduce your chlorine generation as you will be reducing the UV impact.

My pool is 14.5 x 40. I was thinking about two 14 x 24 covers. Maybe glueing them together and then using the leftover to cover the 7x7 spa. You just leave them in pieces? Maybe that is the way to go.

Marty, do you have overlap?

Mine (one piece 20X40) went up to 2 weeks covered many times due to a busy schedule. The SWG bubbles never mattered. If the pool went 2 weeks it would have a certain smell to it when it was uncovered as the CCs outgassed but it only lasted 45 seconds or so.

Hydrogen is highly flammable, but not that energetic. Even if you were able to build up visibly large bubbles under the cover and somehow against all logic managed to ignite them (not enough oxygen to allow fire under the cover and upon removal of the cover the hydrogen would quickly float up and disperse) then there would be a quick and anemic flame that wouldn't even have the energy to singe the cover. There's nothing to this concern.

Hydrogen has extreme flammability limits. 5%-95%. But agreed, the amount in a pool cover is probably not enough to worry about.

Hydrogen is highly flammable, but not that energetic. Even if you were able to build up visibly large bubbles under the cover and somehow against all logic managed to ignite them (not enough oxygen to allow fire under the cover and upon removal of the cover the hydrogen would quickly float up and disperse) then there would be a quick and anemic flame that wouldn't even have the energy to singe the cover.

I'm from Texas. 🤠 Hold my beer and watch this! :epds:

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marty, do you have overlap?
No. Small pool so I bought a rectangular cover, cut it to fit, then cut it in two places so I can pull it off the pool easier. Also easier to put on. We many times only take off one of the sections to just cool off in our 'spring' and 'fall' times.

For instance, I am putting the cover on today. Water temp is 73F. But our daytime air temp highs will be 105-110F again starting tomorrow. Overnight temps in low 70's. So pool water cools off too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.