Pool Cover Anchors in Paver Deck

SouthwestOhio

Silver Supporter
Jul 23, 2018
Milford, OH
New build last spring. Pavers were dry set on top of cured concrete deck. Joints (minimal) were filled /swept with polymer modified sand.
Cover guy comes this fall and proceeds to drill for the brass anchors in the center of the paver(s) not at the corner joints as I suggested.

Several of the pavers cracked. They don't look bad - now.
Have him replace in spring or let it go?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Have them replace it immediately. My PBs tech cracked 2 pavers (flagstones) of mine while installing the cover and the office manager swore they’d fix it in the spring. Well over the winter there had been a family fallout and there was a new manager who of course knew nothing. I had to cause more of a stink than I would have liked too, but they made it right when I started to make a stink. I was happy and understood that I blindsided the new manager, but it made me realize what a difference a few months could make.

If he used just brass anchors be prepared for the pavers to be lifted up at some point in the future. He should be using paver anchors, yes even if the pavers are sitting on concrete. Trust me, they will tug and pull on the pavers. Common sense says to place anchors between pavers.

See first item.

Loose set pavers should use the anchor-in-pipe method.

Anchors in loose set pavers are not secure and the cover is not considered "safe" per manufacturers.

Contact the manufacturer to verify their requirements for a proper safety rating.

While most of the force is parallel to the deck, there is some vertical force applied, which will eventually pull up the pavers.

Pavers should not be drilled through using a hammer drill in most cases because it will crack the pavers.

Large, thick pavers might be ok, but some will still crack.

Going in the joints usually works.

You can core drill, but that's expensive and time consuming. Installation cost would be about double.

Last edited:

See first item.

Loose set pavers should use the anchor-in-pipe method.

Anchors in loose set pavers are not secure and the cover is not considered "safe" per manufacturers.

Contact the manufacturer to verify their requirements for a proper safety rating.

While most of the force is parallel to the deck, there is some vertical force applied, which will eventually pull up the pavers.

Pavers should not be drilled through using a hammer drill in most cases because it will crack the pavers.

Large, thick pavers might be ok, but some will still crack.

Going in the joints usually works.

You can core drill, but that's expensive and time consuming. Installation cost would be about double.
James,
You provided a lot of good info. Thank you. You mentioned that a hammer drill will crack pavers and a hole saw will be expensive. Is there an alternate on how to drill a paver? I’m looking to do a travertine paver deck. The pavers are 1 1/4” thick. You have me concerned if I should go forward with the pavers.
Thanks,
Joe

It’s pretty much collateral damage either way. They cracked two of my pavers (flagstone) drilling the 30(?) holes. Get a dozen extra stones when they do the patio and you’ll have them for this or for when anything else happens. Especially at the start they will match well before the patio fades in the sun. I have my extra coping stones behind my shed sitting in the same sun so if I ever need them they will be closer to matching.

Reactions: Aquaman7
James,
You provided a lot of good info. Thank you. You mentioned that a hammer drill will crack pavers and a hole saw will be expensive. Is there an alternate on how to drill a paver? I’m looking to do a travertine paver deck. The pavers are 1 1/4” thick. You have me concerned if I should go forward with the pavers.
Thanks,
Joe
For pavers like that, core drilling is the only way to do it without shattering the pavers (in my opinion).

If the pavers are mortared securely to a concrete base, you can use regular anchors.

For loose set pavers, you need anchor in pipe.

For regular anchors, you need to bevel the stone edge and sand down the anchor ridges some so that the ridges don't spall the stone. But, don't make the anchors loose. They still need to be snug.

Reactions: Metal and Aquaman7
For pavers like that, core drilling is the only way to do it without shattering the pavers (in my opinion).

If the pavers are mortared securely to a concrete base, you can use regular anchors.

For loose set pavers, you need anchor in pipe.

For regular anchors, you need to bevel the stone edge and sand down the anchor ridges some so that the ridges don't spall the stone. But, don't make the anchors loose. They still need to be snug.
I’m missed this post. Good to know.
Thanks James

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.