Pool Cover Anchor Maintenance

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I was reading another thread about failed anchors use for a safety cover and thought it might be wise to do a little maintenance on mine. Mine go into concrete so I’m not concerned about them coming loose, but I do want to keep the threads clean so they don’t seize. I was thinking about taking each one out (the part that screws out) and blowing out any dirt from the shell. Then I’d like to lubricate the threads as I put them back together. Therein lies my question. What type, if any, lubrication should I use?

Took all of the anchors out today and brushed the threads with a brass brush and sprayed them with silicone. I’m glad I did. None of them were stuck but a few were tight and another few had a fair amount of debris in the receiver (the part that stays in the cement). I blew all that out. The anchors were all starting to oxidize. This will be a standard annual maintenance item from now on. Thanks for the information that helped me get this done.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude and Leebo
Is there a chance the lube will accumulate dirt in the anchors? I thought abought doing the same, but was concerned that lubing will make it worse. All I did this spring was unscrew the anchor, rinse both pieces with the hose, and then blow it out with air before seating the anchor again.

Is there a chance the lube will accumulate dirt in the anchors? I thought abought doing the same, but was concerned that lubing will make it worse. All I did this spring was unscrew the anchor, rinse both pieces with the hose, and then blow it out with air before seating the anchor again.
I think there is a chance that will happen. However, I guess I resigned myself to taking each one out and cleaning it every year. I think the lube will keep the oxidation in check which is why I used it. Though, I think brushing well each year would be sufficient. I think the oil will make the housing more difficult to clean. I’ll see what happens next season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was reading another thread about failed anchors use for a safety cover and thought it might be wise to do a little maintenance on mine. Mine go into concrete so I’m not concerned about them coming loose, but I do want to keep the threads clean so they don’t seize. I was thinking about taking each one out (the part that screws out) and blowing out any dirt from the shell. Then I’d like to lubricate the threads as I put them back together. Therein lies my question. What type, if any, lubrication should I use?
You can use ballistol. Its a German created lubricant for firearms (biodegradable) and an old locksmith told me its the best lubricant he's ever used. Crazy enough it was created I think before WW1. I put it on my anchors last year and will every year.

Reactions: Newdude
WD-40 is not a lubricant.

Out of curiosity, I looked. Per their website:

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION​

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

I did buy and use their silicone product on the anchors.

On any kind of fixed, threaded connector, I prefer to use greases. Moly disulfide grease works well. It has excellent lubricity and remains viscous under high and low temperatures. It does not harden and it reduces galling between dissimilar metals.

Sprays like WD-40 and Liquid Wrench are penetrating and displacing oils meant to clean dirt, debris and moisture off of surfaces and tightly spaced locations. Once they evaporate they can leave behind lots of the gunk they attract.

TL : DR Keep them clean, and lubrication is unnecessary.

I have a bit of a different take, particularly with brass. Oils, greases, and lubes, independent of the metals involved, tend to attract and hold dirt (especially WD-40 and greases). [HARD LEFT TURN: Lots of experience in motorsports at the highest levels. WD-40 is a dirt MAGNET, and grease entombs dirt] You will spend more time cleaning them, if lubrication has been applied, than if you just keep them clean.

The anchors and casings are similar metals, so galling, is not a real factor, especially because we are talking about brass vs. other metals such as stainless steel.

Use a toothbrush, or other brush, with or without water, and clean the casing and the anchors. Use a shop vac (wet or dry) and vacuum the casings after brushing...and wipe the anchors of debris.

If the casing and anchor are free of debris, there is no need for lubrication; lubrication doesn't "fix" the debris retained by the oil or grease. Clean and dry, and all is well with world.

Out of curiosity, I looked. Per their website:

I did buy and use their silicone product on the anchors.
Their website is a little misleading, because of the ingredients in it, only 10-20% could be classified as a lubricant. It's really a displacing agent. I used to use it as a lubricant and a machinist broke it down to me what it's really used for and told me there a better products to use for lubrication but it all depends on what you are trying to lubricate.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.