Pool Cover Advice-Over a ledge or just up to it?

DinoPool

Sep 18, 2019
Rockville, MD
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for your input.
We have a new pool getting ready to open up this month (hopefully!) and are at the pool cover stage with our PB.
The pool has one side with a ledge waterfall. This is the side that we are being asked for our options. The two options to secure the cover for the waterfall side of the pool cover (included in our contract) are to either:

1. have the support bolts installed under the coping or
2. have the support bolts installed behind the waterfall on the deck

The cover technician is suggesting that we do option 1. He says that option 2 will necessitate two pumps for water gathering on top of the cover as opposed to only one pump for option 1. In addition, he says that option 2 will present itself with gaps at the ends of the ledge that will allow for debris.

Our thoughts are that option 1 will not be a tight enough seal between the cover and the edge and will allow for debris along the whole edge. In addition, it seems like if they "wrap" the ledge like a present, there should be no/minimal gaps.

What is everyone's advice here as to what we should have done with the cover install? Should we cover over and behind the ledge waterfall or should we just cover up to the waterfall and secure it under the coping?

Thanks again in advance

Covers will lower with the snow cover. The lowering is allowed for by the springs being compressed (sounds counter-intuitive but that's how it works). So the cover actually moves when there is a snow load. Back and forth each time it snows and melts (as it does all the time in MD). Something to consider also. I'd suspect there'd be chaffing of the cover over time if the ledge is fully covered. I've seen covers go up to the ledge or waterfall face at height. But I too would tend to prefer option 1.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.