I posted about it 12 years ago. It is still working today and just as effectively. My son and daughter are the young teens in the pool. He is an Air Force Pilot and she is a Speech and Language pathologist. Molly, the black dog lives in Florida with us and runs and swims daily.....she is remarkable at 13. Time flies

Last edited:
The simple facts are that w the summer heat of the South and evening/nighttime sustained ambient air temps, this is a losing battle on cost-effectiveness and effort per decent temp reduction. The only way you will achieve any real decline in temp is to engage a true chiller from the time the sun goes down until the next morning. The specific heat of water takes a lot of energy to convert hot water to cool water, especially when the sun is out and the ambient temps are rising.

Unless you employ a true chiller type system, the only way to drop the pool water temp of any significance, is to drain your water by 2+ ft when the sun goes down, then add water in the 70-75 degree range from pipes that are 5-6ft below the ground. However, the next day all that water will be heated up again if the sun is out all day. It's a costly fix for a short term gain. The same in the winter when you heat a pool...it cools down quickly w cold outside temps.

I saw someone say if you have solar heating system you can run the system at night when ambient temps are cool to draw down temperature and cool a pool.

Is this true?

Not much where you live. With lows averaging around 75 degrees, you won't get much transfer and the results will be minimal.

Far better here in Florida to throw the water high into the air in a mist and take the benefits of evaporative cooling.

Reactions: Rumbleehockey03
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.