Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

I’m a new pool owner and just learning and getting up to speed. I work a lot to for this first season of pool ownership I decided to hire a pool company to keep it clean, chemicals balanced, etc while I learned the ins and outs slowly. Well, I’m learning quick but something happened this evening that I need advice on.

The pool guy came this afternoon to clean, backwash the DE filter, add chemicals, etc. I get home about 10-15 minutes after he left (says my wife) and find the pool an inch or two below the skimmers. Thinking there is a massive leak I run to the pool equipment and find that the guy left the pool running in Rinse mode instead of moving the handle back to Filter. Ok, I google it and find that it’s probably not a big deal. I’m currently the filling the pool back up. So here are my questions:

1. Should I also add water to the attached spa if it’s low or will the pool water help fill it? My guess is I should err on the side of adding water to the spa.

2. How badly will the chemicals be screwed up? I have a salt pool. Here were the last numbers that the pool guide provided me today (note that I don’t trust him at all, and I just got my own pool chem kit so I’m willing to run my own tests right now if you all think I should):

FC: 3.0
pH: 7.4
TA: 90
CH: 250
CYA: 40
Salt: 3000
Temp: 80 (it’s a heated pool and I was getting it warmed up for tomorrow’s pool party we are having)

3. Once the water is filled in the pool, I’d like to turn on the filter and run it over night, but I’m not sure what I need to do since the pool water went below the skimmers. For example, the pool pump doesn’t have any water in the basket. Should I just fill it up and put the lid back on? Should I do something else? Anything with the filter I need to do?

4. The pool guy clearly is poorly trained. So I started questioning him more. He tells me he only put 2 scoops (standard DE scoop from Leslie’s) of DE in the skimmer before he left after backwashing - so that’s 1lb right? I have a 48 ft DE filter so I’m thinking he should’ve added closer to 8 scoops total? Should I add 6 more scoops once the pool is running in filter mode? Or should I backwash it again given the water level issue (I guess I could double check the pressure once it’s on).

5. Anything else I need to worry about or check on?

The pool company will send someone in the morning to test my chemicals and add more if needed. I was assured that the guy who came today won’t be back on my property.

Thanks for your help everyone, excited to learn more from this community.

Reactions: svtcobra
Hi all,

I’m a new pool owner and just learning and getting up to speed. I work a lot to for this first season of pool ownership I decided to hire a pool company to keep it clean, chemicals balanced, etc while I learned the ins and outs slowly. Well, I’m learning quick but something happened this evening that I need advice on.

The pool guy came this afternoon to clean, backwash the DE filter, add chemicals, etc. I get home about 10-15 minutes after he left (says my wife) and find the pool an inch or two below the skimmers. Thinking there is a massive leak I run to the pool equipment and find that the guy left the pool running in Rinse mode instead of moving the handle back to Filter. Ok, I google it and find that it’s probably not a big deal. I’m currently the filling the pool back up. So here are my questions:

1. Should I also add water to the attached spa if it’s low or will the pool water help fill it? My guess is I should err on the side of adding water to the spa.

2. How badly will the chemicals be screwed up? I have a salt pool. Here were the last numbers that the pool guide provided me today (note that I don’t trust him at all, and I just got my own pool chem kit so I’m willing to run my own tests right now if you all think I should):

FC: 3.0
pH: 7.4
TA: 90
CH: 250
CYA: 40
Salt: 3000
Temp: 80 (it’s a heated pool and I was getting it warmed up for tomorrow’s pool party we are having)

3. Once the water is filled in the pool, I’d like to turn on the filter and run it over night, but I’m not sure what I need to do since the pool water went below the skimmers. For example, the pool pump doesn’t have any water in the basket. Should I just fill it up and put the lid back on? Should I do something else? Anything with the filter I need to do?

4. The pool guy clearly is poorly trained. So I started questioning him more. He tells me he only put 2 scoops (standard DE scoop from Leslie’s) of DE in the skimmer before he left after backwashing - so that’s 1lb right? I have a 48 ft DE filter so I’m thinking he should’ve added closer to 8 scoops total? Should I add 6 more scoops once the pool is running in filter mode? Or should I backwash it again given the water level issue (I guess I could double check the pressure once it’s on).

5. Anything else I need to worry about or check on?

The pool company will send someone in the morning to test my chemicals and add more if needed. I was assured that the guy who came today won’t be back on my property.

Thanks for your help everyone, excited to learn more from this community.
Replying to add my signature now.

For a 48 sq ft DE filter you will need about 5 pounds after a backwash. It's hard to know if your pool will refill your attached spa without knowing your exact setup. If it is a spillover into the pool then it should fill up from the pool water and you wouldn't have to do both but you can do both just to be safe. How badly the chemicals are out of whack depends on what percentage of water was replaced. The only way to know is to replace the water, run the pump for at least 30 minutes, and test all the levels. You may need to fill up the basket before starting the pump if your pump is not self priming.

What kind of test kit do you have? A pic of the equipment pad would tell us alot about your setup. If his numbers are correct you are low on CYA for a salt pool but I wouldnt mess with it unless you can verify his results. Add water like you are doing now and just get it running to start the process. You will be fine for time being

Your signature shows you have a TF100 test kit -- why are you even looking at test results from a pool guy?!?

Run your own tests and post them up --

Hi perc,
In all likleyhood, Your chem levels are fine. Unless they are low to start with, it takes a good bit of dilution for the related levels to change to any amount to be concerned about. Those related levels are CYA, CH, and Salt

Go ahead and fill the pool back up, get your pump primed and get the water circulating. Thats the main thing right now, and have a good time with the pool party.

No need to fret over the rest of it. No big deal.

Reactions: Pperc and markayash
Your signature shows you have a TF100 test kit -- why are you even looking at test results from a pool guy?!?

I agree. It’s because it arrived in the mail just yesterday and I didn't think much point to test after I added a lot of water without it circulating for a few hours and I went to bed because it was late so let the filter run over night to circulate. Going to run my own tests shortly for the first time.

What kind of test kit do you have? A pic of the equipment pad would tell us alot about your setup. If his numbers are correct you are low on CYA for a salt pool but I wouldnt mess with it unless you can verify his results. Add water like you are doing now and just get it running to start the process. You will be fine for time being

Thank you. It’s a TF100 but it just arrived yesterday.

I’m hesitant to add a lot to it because the water is very clear and in good shape - but some of that is just being nervous as a new pool owner.

For a 48 sq ft DE filter you will need about 5 pounds after a backwash. It's hard to know if your pool will refill your attached spa without knowing your exact setup. If it is a spillover into the pool then it should fill up from the pool water and you wouldn't have to do both but you can do both just to be safe. How badly the chemicals are out of whack depends on what percentage of water was replaced. The only way to know is to replace the water, run the pump for at least 30 minutes, and test all the levels. You may need to fill up the basket before starting the pump if your pump is not self priming.

Thank you. I knew the amount of DE being added was wrong. The new pool guy this morning said 6lbs for a 48 but I think that’s a bit high. I’m guessing not destructively so, though.

Hi perc,
In all likleyhood, Your chem levels are fine. Unless they are low to start with, it takes a good bit of dilution for the related levels to change to any amount to be concerned about. Those related levels are CYA, CH, and Salt

Go ahead and fill the pool back up, get your pump primed and get the water circulating. Thats the main thing right now, and have a good time with the pool party.

No need to fret over the rest of it. No big deal.

Thank you. That makes me feel quite good.

Reactions: Divin Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, was told by the new guy this morning that the main filter pump o-ring shouldn’t be lubricated because it’s a “newer kind” and once you lubricate it you need to keep on it or it will dry out and crack. Any truth at all, even in a little, in this?

Straight from the manual: 6. Clean the cover, cover O-ring, and sealing surface of the pump pot. Grease the O-ring with Teflon® or silicone.

Just fire that guy.
You’re so right, Richard. He seems good, but I think as I’ve read in other posts, these people do so many pools they cut corners constantly.

You asked, so I’m delivering. Here are the TF100 results:

FC: 16
TA: 140
pH: 8.2
CH: 275
CYA: 50
Salt: 2600
Temp: 85
CSI: 0.69

So, these are noticeably different than what I posted earlier based on this mornings test (that pool guy did, I don’t know what kit he used):

FC: 0
TC: 0
pH: 7.6
TA: 120
CH: 240
Salt: 2600
CYA: 10
Temp: 80
CSI: -.03

However, I do know that he added chems to the pool. He added
- 5 gal shock (I do not know what kind)
- 4lb DE (at my request given only 1 lb was added yesterday after a backwash)
- 6lb stabilizer (CYA)

So - would the shock be what made the FC and pH go up? We are having a party starting in an hour or 2 and there will be both adults and kids in the pool. Anything I should add to the pool now? Any concerns about swimming? Pool is clean and clear. Alternatively, I could just enjoy the day and retest tomorrow - but you’re the expert :)

Thank you in advance.

Edit: stupid question maybe but is it ok to pour all completed tests down kitchen sink and rinse equipment bottles with two water before drying?

Last edited:
FC is under shock level so OK. pH test is invalid as your FC ppm is above 10 ppm.

I imagine he poured the CYA into the skimmer (bad). So most of it should show up in a week or so.

Have fun.

Reactions: Pperc
FC is under shock level so OK. pH test is invalid as your FC ppm is above 10 ppm.

I imagine he poured the CYA into the skimmer (bad). So most of it should show up in a week or so.

Have fun.
Good, thanks. Yes, I was going to break out the actual pH meter but it hasn’t been calibrated and I don’t have DI water to calibrate it right now.

Yep, he poured the CYA right into the skimmer over the basket. I won’t backwash for a full week then. He should’ve done the panty hose method instead? Just want to know the right thing to do.

I think by next year, or maybe later this year, I’ll do it all myself and just hire them for opening and closing the pool. Would require me to buy a pool vacuum, right? I have a brush and a robot cleaner that runs 2 hours a day on the bottom/walls.

Reactions: Pat60
With a robot you should not need a pool vacuum. Can you add what robot you have to your signature?

CYA should be added via the sock method. That is adding the CYA to a sock or knee high and putting in the skimmer or hanging in front of a return. No pool service person would do that, takes too much time.

With a robot you should not need a pool vacuum. Can you add what robot you have to your signature?

CYA should be added via the sock method. That is adding the CYA to a sock or knee high and putting in the skimmer or hanging in front of a return. No pool service person would do that, takes too much time.
Yes, sir. Will add it!

Knee high socks? Those thick bad boys? An amazon link would be great - I read the article but would be awesome to have a real example.

You can use socks like you wear if that is what you have. The knee highs Marty is talking about it ladies knee highs that are cheap and easy to find at the dollar store. I use my husband's white, tube socks (shhhhhhhhh he does not have a blue LOL).

Do your pool and wallet a favor and fire the pool guy/service. You have the best test kit out there AND TFP to help you. You just think your water is clear. Once we get it dialed in you will wonder how you ever thought it was clear before!!

Now go enjoy your party and pool!!!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: BMK and Pperc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.