Pool company guy screwed up...

With clean water my DE filter gets torn down once a year. I have a bump filter so it doesn't need backwashing. It's big for the pool so most of the time it's just loafing along with not a whole lot to filter.

Reactions: Pperc
Kreepy Krauly Racer question: I've noticed that this things squirts water out of it when the pump is on, but with the "cleaner" mode off. Is there any way to run the pump but take the Racer out of the pool?

Disconnect the racer hose at the return it is plugged into before removing it from the pool.

@YippeeSkippy Saw you mention in another thread about not using dry acid if you have a SWG. I haven't been. But I'm confident that the pool company I fired and the previous owner was using dry acid (found the tub in the pool equipment shed). What long lasting damage may have been done to my SWG and is there I anything I should do next?

Last edited:
@YippeeSkippy Saw you mention in another thread about not using dry acid if you have a SWG. I haven't been. But I'm confident that the pool vompany I fired and the previous owner was using dry acid (found the tub in the pool equipment shed). What long lasting damage may have been done to my SWG and is there I anything I should do next?

The only way to lower sulfates is drain or water exchange.

The only way to lower sulfates is drain or water exchange.
Thanks. Can it be tested for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone know why my DE filter doesn't seem to be increasing in pressure at all? Was last back washed on Friday and it really hasn't moved. Before it was moving up every few days. Does that just mean the water is pretty clean/clear? Or could it mean that there is not enough DE in the filter?
That is why I posted the Clear pool thread.

That is why I posted the Clear pool thread.
It does look pretty clear in my pool. However...

One of the ultimate issues I will face soon is that the pool is probably 30 years old so their are issues with the pool masonry. There are areas on the floor of the pool that are... worn? I don't know how to describe it other than patches that are worn through the top layer of the masonry. It's just an old pool and probably has needed to be refinished for a while. I will try to get some pictures with my phone (thunderstorms now so it's a mess outside right now). A pool builder quoted me probably 18k - 25k to have the pool re-done including the coping which is cracked in several places.

edit: to add, I perhaps even see a rusty color spot?

Happy to hear the water is looking better! Good job!

Plaster-So long as it is not losing water due to it leaking then it is fine to enjoy it for the summer. Here is a simple test to see if your water lose, if any, is from evaporation or leaking: Water level bucket test

If you WANT to replaster the pool we suggest you get at least 3 quotes with a try at 5 if you are in a big pool market.

Kim:kim:

Happy to hear the water is looking better! Good job!

Plaster-So long as it is not losing water due to it leaking then it is fine to enjoy it for the summer. Here is a simple test to see if your water lose, if any, is from evaporation or leaking: Water level bucket test

If you WANT to replaster the pool we suggest you get at least 3 quotes with a try at 5 if you are in a big pool market.

Thanks. The pool builder said the same - I should enjoy it for the summer since it’s holding water just fine and then decide if I want to do it this fall or next spring. Will plan to get many quotes - tons of builders around here.

You might get the "top shelf" trades if you do it in the Fall. That is before the builds will start up and after this years builds are done. They might be hungry so willing to work to get it done.

Now something else to think about. If this is the first time the pool has been replastered they might try to cut your cost by doing a small chip out. This is where they only chip out around the returns, lights, tile, etc. It is less labor so may be cheaper. The down side of this is if you ever need to do another plaster down the road (WAY down the road now that you found TFP) it will cost your more as they will have to chip out TWO layers of plaster all over the pool.

Latest results posted to Pool Math @mknauss.

I’m still working on TA - I probably wasn’t taking the test to end point properly before but I am now. I’ll keep bringing pH down to 7.4 and letting it rise to 8 and hope the TA eventually works it’s way down.

I did the CYA test today and got 40, so I think it’s time to bring it up. Would you suggest I take it up to 70? I’ll use the sock method into my skimmer basket.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.