Pool closing 1st time

Ricker

Jun 2, 2021
Toronto
Hi ,
So my pool contractor will be closing my pool next week. I asked him if there is anything I need to do before he closes it (ie. adjust chemicals), but he said there is nothing I need to do. However, Im wondering if I should dump some extra chlorine to better prevent algae during the winter. Anyone have any suggestions?

It is common for TFP owners to increase their FC level close to SLAM level per the FC/CYA Levels prior to closing. Some do it about a week prior then allow the FC to fall a little bit before shutting everything down. I would be surprised if the person you hired didn't increase the FC, however their go-to solution might be to dump a bunch of algaecide. Watch closely which products they add. Algaecides should be on the Polyquat 60 family - non-copper.

Personally, I do not trust their chemicals so I handle chemicals on my own. I'm lazy and don't want to mess with blowing out the lines, getting the cover on, winterizing it all, etc so I pay them to do that. Also, I will drain the water down below the returns - is that something they recommend or will do?

For chemicals, I will add FC the week before and my own non-cooper algaecide. A few companies have been hesitant to tell me what products they use and what's in them so I just do my own. Last year, we opened to clear water with just some leaves and junk on the bottom that the robot easily cleaned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.