Pool Clarifier - shelf life

Welcome to TFP.

We don’t recommend use of clarifier here. There is no need for it with proper water chemistry and an operating pump and filter.

Yup that's the reason I haven't used it in all these years. This year however was the 1st time I asked my 16 year old son to take charge ... After he had his post high school grad pool party last month he pretty much let it go and last week I noticed algae creeping in. Got it under control with a proper SLAM and looking good but a bit cloudy at the moment. I know it'll clear up nicely by early next week but since i had the clarifier lying around & didn't want to send it to the landfill i thought I'd use it.

I realize people on this forum have more serious issues than my own.

A proper SLAM does not involve the use of clarifier. Clarifier is a shortcut that, aside of potentially causing issues with the filter media, could cause a person to discontinue a SLAM early. Then the algae isn't completely eradicated and leads to chronic problems and eventually another SLAM.

Send the clarifier to the landfill, 10 years of freeze and thaw has likely ruined it.

Reactions: justinc
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.