Pool, chemistry and timing questions for new above ground pool

Yup, that's what my goal is. So I'll follow the permanent guides then, too. I just didn't know they applied to smaller pools like ours.

I'm not very handy so the thought of cutting into the vinyl liner gives me the creeps... There aren't any adapters that can make it work without that?

Yes, since we don't desire to drain/dump out the water, the levels are monitored to achieve balance. We've never drained our pool after starting TFP (we do lower it below skimmer to winterize), but never a full drain! It's awesome!

It was ALL the difference, I had started researching once we upgraded from the inflatable ring 4yrs ago and I KNEW I wanted the better filtering capacity with kiddos getting in and out of the pool. It also made the "grown-up" pool care 1000x easier (since it actually filters and not just moving water around).
Fill the pool and then use the Intex return & through-wall-skimmer to trace the opening to cut out :D Easy peasy! We did have to use a little silicone on the skimmer gasket, it was a different brand then our previous pool skimmer and the gaskets weren't as true (cost of saving a buck, rofl)

Reactions: splashpad
I see that the CYA test is not in the 5-way Home Depot test kit, but the kit does do FC, doesn't it? It says that the first color comparison within a few seconds is FC, then a few minutes later it is a test of total chlorine. Maybe I'm not understanding something.
So the FC yellow OTO drops test, does show the FC level, but once the level of FC gets over 4-5, the intensity is hard to see until you have compared and practiced with accurate measurement.
The FAS-DPD provides an accurate count of FC level, it is counted by reagent drops into the solution and color-change.

Reactions: chicagonyc
Yup, that's what my goal is. So I'll follow the permanent guides then, too. I just didn't know they applied to smaller pools like ours.

I'm not very handy so the thought of cutting into the vinyl liner gives me the creeps... There aren't any adapters that can make it work without that?
It seems scary, I will admit that! Just watch a few youtube videos of "upgrading pool skimmer" and it's honestly no sweat!
That person did find & purchase adapters... The inlets (water to pump) and outlets (water to pool) are larger for the intex, so I wouldn't want to restrict the flow staying with the smaller BestWay openings. We did cutout around the existing BestWay inlets/outlets, since those were reinforced on our pool :D

Last edited:
I did notice my pH level went back up to 7.8 and my TA is at 200. So that calls for more MA. I added 6 oz yesterday (which did drop me from 7.8 to 7.6 yesterday but it went back up as of today) and now 6 oz today as per the PoolMath app. Is it possible that my pool needs this much MA?

My understanding was that this was a newly filled pool, and not a pool with algae. Do you currently have algae? If not then you don’t need to slam.

We recommend starting with a CYA of 30. My recommendation of 3ppm was based on a CYA of less than 30 ppm since you are in the process of adding it. At 30 ppm of CYA target level for FC is 4-6 ppm.

I am hoping all the storms pass us by this year. I’m still a little shell shocked from Harvey.

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

For daily maintenance, you add bleach. If you will be away from the pool for several days and no one can add bleach, then you would use a floating dispenser and use a tablet or two. If you do that too often, you will be draining the pool and starting over.

I did notice my pH level went back up to 7.8 and my TA is at 200. So that calls for more MA. I added 6 oz yesterday (which did drop me from 7.8 to 7.6 yesterday but it went back up as of today) and now 6 oz today as per the PoolMath app. Is it possible that my pool needs this much MA?
Yup, especially with a TA of 200 :) Those little pumps can actually introduce some aeration, which raises the PH. If anyone is swimming/splashing, that will also raise PH. No worries, it will settle after some time (and treatment) :) Another nice thing about not draining & refilling, once you get things balanced, they actually stay there!

Thanks for the tip. This is the one you mean? Yeah no stock on Amazon and ebay charging way more. Do I need to get a replacement bag right away?
That's the one! It comes with a bag and your first set of batteries. You can get an extra bag of you want to. I really ought to.

Thanks for the advice. Will do.
if your FC is much over 10 don't worry about your pH. High chlorine levels affect pH and make testing it unreliable.

If it's wet and mushy, squeeze it a few times until it's out of the sock and in the pool. This is one reason we don't recommend putting the sock in the skimmer -- CYA is an acid, and it makes the water in the skimmer acidic, which can make the skimmer parts brittle.

I'd suggest hanging the sock in front of your outlet.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it. Will do.

But my TA remains stubbornly at 190-200. What should I do?

pH is at 7.2 (I added 6oz MA on day 1 of the pool and 6 oz on day 2 to lower pH from 7.8). Chlorine is at 4 ppm now. We only have the weak 1000 gph Intex pump, but we've swam quite a lot in it, so we're aerating as best we can.

If it's wet and mushy, squeeze it a few times until it's out of the sock and in the pool. This is one reason we don't recommend putting the sock in the skimmer -- CYA is an acid, and it makes the water in the skimmer acidic, which can make the skimmer parts brittle.

I'd suggest hanging the sock in front of your outlet.
Actually CYA is not a strong acid and in a pool with a stronger pump than Intex offers the CYA dissolves in a matter of hours. I would never put chlorine pucks in a skimmer, but CYA in a sock is ok.

If it came with a cartridge, measure the height and diameter of the cartridge. Type A is the most common. If it doesn't have a cartridge measure the the height and diameter of the inside of the filter housing. Take a tape measure to the store and compare cartridge sizes and find the one closest to your measurements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.