Pool Chemical Numbers and the terrible color of my pool

Rose38478

Aug 17, 2019
Tennessee
Back story on this pool. I used the horrible free cover without a pillow and the thing sunk all the way to the bottom over the winter. It didn't collapse, it was still tight on the walls, but it sunk. And it got gunk on it. Lots of gunk. So I decided to treat said gunk for algae before we opened. But opening was a nightmare. We tried out best to get the sunken cover out of the pool without all said gunk going in there. My grown son even got in the 65 degree water to try to get it out. Needless to say we have failed. It all went in the pool and frankly, I can see it floating around. You should see what is on my skimmer socks. They're digusting and I'm having to change them pretty frequently. The mass amount of pollen isn't helping. The pool is a bluish color but right below my steps, you can see it a brownish cloudy color? But when I pull out water to test, it's clear. However, that being said, it's eating all my chlorine. Now I am aware my numbers are out of wack. I guess my biggest question is should I get my CYA/PH up before I even attempt to shock again or just keep shocking it every day as I work on those numbers? I put my stabilizer pod in today and I'm going to wait two days before I test that again (learned my lesson last year when my CYA stayed a tad too high all summer because I tested too fast) and I've been slowly raising my PH. I've never opened my pool to this. 😭 My pool always opens clear to close to clear. I also have some flocculent coming to try to settle that debris to the bottom.

From my Taylor Test Kit (please note I shocked it yesterday, less than 24 hours ago)

Chlorine - 0
Ph - 7.0
TA - 40
CH - 80
CYA -0 ( I ran high last summer so I guess our super wet winter reset this?)
CSI -1.54

Thank you all for any advice you can give me.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 11
We don't shock, we follow the SLAM Process

Your pH is fine for the SLAM Process. Follow the process. It tells you to raise your CYA to 30 and maintain your FC at 12.

Stock up on liquid chlorine.

Reactions: Rose38478
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.