Pool builder loves Intellibrite, but reviews are terrible

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
I am resurfacing pool so decided to upgrade old swimquip niches, convert lights to 12v and add new fixtures

The Pool builder LOVES intellibrite "never had a problem" and "you will never have to replace them"

I told him I wanted something with a replaceable bulb, like this
PureColors LED Bulb & Pentair Amerlite Pool Light Fixture Kit : PureLine PureColors LED Bulb & Pentair Amerlite Pool Light Fixture Kit 120V 50' Cord - PL5831 - INYOPools.com

He said he would install whatever I wanted, but I was making a HUGE mistake not doing intellibrite.

What should I do?

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
I’m sure you’ve searched Intellibrite on TFP...not a very good track record. Many times the drivers for one of the colors blows out and then you’re stuck with either trying to do a surgical replacement of the defective electronics OR you’re out $600-$800 on a new light. The LED lighting market as a whole has a long way to go - the LED’s themselves are rock-solid but the driver circuitry used is often sub-standard and cheap. I see this all the time with my landscape lighting - you never know when you’re going to get a bulb that lasts 5+ years or 5+ months.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
D,

I am not a fan of reviews in general, as you never know how real they are.. But, from just looking at the failures that I see reported here, I bought a simple standard white light... I am not a big light user anyway, but color lights like the IntelliBrite just don't seem ready for prime time to me..

I like your plan..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Maybe I should just keep my swimquip 120v fixture I replaced 6 years ago. It’s not a standard size niche but I could always buy the JNJ led they make for it.

I just hope that I don’t regret not upgrading to a modern larger niche when the pool is being refinished.

This is really my only time I’ll wvwr get the chance and if they stop making swimquip retrofits in a few years I’ll be in trouble.

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX

D,

I am not a fan of reviews in general, as you never know how real they are.. But, from just looking at the failures that I see reported here, I bought a simple standard white light... I am not a big light user anyway, but color lights like the IntelliBrite just don't seem ready for prime time to me..

I like your plan..

Thanks,

Jim R.
What kind of white light did you install ? LED?

kefjens

Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
I made the same decision as Jim R. did when I had my pool built. We went with a standard 500w halogen. The upcharge for LEDs was something like $2k and reading reviews/complaints here on LEDs helped me make my decision. I can run my halogen for about 20,000 hours before I reach the $2k mark and this takes into account replacing the halogen bulb every 2000 hours at a cost of $25 per bulb. In my climate here in Michigan, the season is short which also factored into my decision. I would like to have the color changing option but that was the trade-off we made.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Builders usually standardize on 1 product that they sell in bulk and get the biggest discounts on so hence the biggest profits for them. Their opinion in other words is tainted/biased. It is like asking a pool store how to keep your pool sanitized. They salivate at these words. Do your own research and tell your builder what you want.

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Builders usually standardize on 1 product that they sell in bulk and get the biggest discounts on so hence the biggest profits for them. Their opinion in other words is tainted/biased. It is like asking a pool store how to keep your pool sanitized. They salivate at these words. Do your own research and tell your builder what you want.
Got it. Thanks!

I just can’t figure out if it’s ok to keep my 20 year old Swimquip lights or if I “have” to upgrade them to the modern size niche

He said $1800/light to take out the old plastic sheath and install a new one, but they work just fine.

Hootz

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2018
Rogers, AR
The previous owner of my pool had intellibrite installed. I am not impressed with the colors..do not like green, red or purple water. I use the white light only. Keeping what you have is wise and as you mentioned converting to led bulb is an option.

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Thank you everyone! The refinish guy said he’s got tons of pools that kept the old lights and you can prob get replacement parts anyway. I’m gonna stick with what we have !!

Dan-H

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2011
No. CA
I have the 601002 IntelliBrite 5G in my pool connected to an EasyTouch 8

update: My Intllibrite 5G did not die. It was tied into a GFI I was not aware it was tied into and that GFI had tripped.

Last edited:

RMcGirr83

Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2018
Tuscola, TX
Our PB installed a 12v outlet for a white light, just switched it out this past fall for a LED one. So far it's been working well and we still have the 12v white one if the LED craps out.