Pool builder can’t find this pool part

RossBarbee

Oct 20, 2020
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hello all,
Recently bought a house with a pool. We knew it was in disrepair, and knew it would take thousands to fix. Long story short, previous owners removed the vinyl liner because “it was ugly”, used latex caulking to fill the gaps between the paneling that sits behind the liner, and then used an epoxy paint to cover it all up. That was in March 2020. Needless to say, it has massive leaks and after 3 days post move-in, the water level is sitting about halfway up the light conduit and holding steady. We had a pool builder come take a look at it and now they won’t return our calls. Ha! As I’m slowly learning all of the parts to a pool, one part I can’t identify is broken in multiple areas around the pool. The builder, while here, said that part would need replaced before a new liner could be installed. Does anyone know what the thin horizontal piece just below the receiver track is called that is all broken up? D196C139-BA60-4902-866F-D6BAD88C77C4.jpeg

Attachments

• FE2DFD7E-C51B-4454-BF5A-4E6C4C5F212B.jpeg
    FE2DFD7E-C51B-4454-BF5A-4E6C4C5F212B.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 98
  • D877ABC3-622F-435A-A732-3E2079084673.jpeg
    D877ABC3-622F-435A-A732-3E2079084673.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 99
Hey Ross, welcome to TFP. Glad you found us.

You can see how our experts and members are already on your case. Once you get it solved, stick around. We'll teach you how to take care of your pool, for best results and at a minimum of cost. Here's the trailer: you don't need a pool guy, you don't need a pool store, you don't need to spend a lot of money.

Good luck with the new liner.

The top curved part is the aluminum coping that concrete is poured to. Where ita separated a joining coupling could be used. Unfortunately below that where its separated is the actual pool wall. Behind that seam the panels are bolted together. I would say that pook leaked even if slowly amd rusted out the bolts and its opening up the seam. Not a good situation for the long haul. You either have to bust a hole amd dig behind the wall to better attach amd repair it as good as possible, or a short term fix is sheet metal repair from the front amd then use foam padding before the liner. The worst idea ever is to paint a steel wall pool and go without a liner. Guaranteed to leak no matter what you do

Reactions: RossBarbee
I hate to say this out loud... But it looks to me the previous owner completely neglected this pool and found the cheapest way to get out from under it. They removed the last liner, probably because it was completely stained and trashed, and then sealed and painted what was left, just enough to hold water for the sale.

I hope that's not true, but if it is the real concern is: what else did they hide? More to the point: I would say you need to have the entire pool and its systems fully evaluated, onsite, by a pool professional, someone familiar with your type of pool, to determine what needs to be done, to the shell and equipment. This done before you start down any path, so that you have a complete picture of all the repairs needed. Don't start piecing together repairs willy-nilly, just to later find out they don't fit with a complete overhaul plan. The one guy you had look did not provide that, and instead has walked away. And that could be a red flag. Or you need to find a better guy, the right guy.

The experts here are happy to help, as you're finding out. But doing so through snapshots of this or that problem might ultimately be a disservice to you...

@jimmythegreek I think you hit the nail on the head. These people were an absolute nightmare to deal with because we couldn’t trust anything they said. Thank you for explaining the different parts to me. That is helpful.
@Dirk I agree with your approach of creating a comprehensive plan. We had the pool measured for a cover yesterday and had the company close it down. So for the winter I think we are going to sit on it because no one seems to have the time to come and evaluate it.
Last question hopefully for this season - since it isn’t holding water much, any harm in draining it completely for winter or should I keep water in it until next season when we can get it looked at?

Our pool builder experts will have a better answer. But I know with some pools the water is part of the structure. Removing that component sometimes allows the pool to shift, or float up out of the ground, or even cave in on itself. The more it rains, the wetter the surrounding soil gets, the worse the risk.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A good way is a 30x60 tarp from harbor freight amd carefully drape it in the pool. Fill it amd leave it sit like that. Water in the pool ia the safest support. It takes alot of lumber to brace one well. Gotta spiderweb it

@jimmythegreek @Dirk Wanted to thank you both for the replies and advice nearly 2 years ago as I navigated an awful pool situation. Happy to say today that my backyard is a nice grassy field the neglected pool is no more. I hope to be a pool owner in the future, but not at this house! Thank you!
Just curious, but can you give more details of the process? I bet it was an interesting journey.

@jimmythegreek @Dirk Wanted to thank you both for the replies and advice nearly 2 years ago as I navigated an awful pool situation. Happy to say today that my backyard is a nice grassy field the neglected pool is no more. I hope to be a pool owner in the future, but not at this house! Thank you!
Sorry it didn't work out for this pool. But we'll be here to help with the next one!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.