Pool build recommendations

har02052

Aug 9, 2021
Omaha, NE
My wife and are in the planning stages of building a pool along with the build of our new house. The foundation for the house is being poured this week. We are wondering about what options we should include or not include? What things are a must or must not? What's worth the money and what isn't? Original idea is 20x40 with a 4 ft shallow and and a deep end. Haven't decided on deep end because haven't decided on diving board or not. Or maybe just a Sport pool that starts at 3'8" and goes to 6' or something. And/or slide. With a Baja shelf in the shallow. Let me know what you think.

This is the bid that I got:
Included with the 20’ x 40’ x 5’ deep sport bottom rectangle swimming pool:
-Excavate and stage soil from pool dig on site
-Secure pool walls and pour concrete footing around the perimeter
-Install all aluminum track around pool perimeter
-Pour a vermiculite pool bottom for liner to sit on
-Pour equipment pad and set all pool equipment
-Run all plumbing around the pool, pressure test lines, and attach at the equipment pad
-Install liner and complete all liner adjustments before filling with water
-Run any electrical conduit from the pool equipment pad to the pool that is needed
-Backfill around the over-dig of the pool with rock
-Rough grade around the pool getting it close to grade for concrete
-When project is complete the homeowner will be given a detailed orientation

The following items are included in the price of the pool.
-Coverstar automaton pool cover
-Pentair Pool Products Whisper-flo 1.5hp pool pump
-Pentair TR60 sand filter
-Pentair 300k BTU heater
-King Technologies mineral/chlorine sanitizer
-4 Pentair Glo-brite LED lights
-2 Hayward 2” skimmers
-2 Hayward 2” main drains
-5 Hayward return housings
-2’ in-wall ladder and hand rails
-Cardinal 20’ full width three tread step with 6’ baja shelf and hand rail
-Legend in-wall pool cleaner with additional Pentair 3/4hp booster pump
-Premier 20mil pool liner with liner over textured steps
-First year opening and closing of pool
-Complete pool maintenance kit
Total cost for the above listed materials and labor $82,250

Options

-2 LED bubblers in baja shelf$3400
-Upgrade to Pentair Intelli-Flo variable speed energy savings pump$1175
-Pentair Easy-touch automated/programable timer pool panel$1550
-Upgraded liner to 28 mil$1065
-Pentair actuated valve $515
-Pentair Screen logic package (run pool via phone or computer)$1360
-2’ Stamped coping border$6980
-Flush deck mounted water spray jet$730ea
-SR Smith typhoon pool slide$4590
-Grey winter safety cover with anchors$2850
-Total basketball kit including anchors and bonding$1150

Total cost including options listed above$????

-Coverstar automaton pool cover
-Pentair Pool Products Whisper-flo 1.5hp pool pump
-Pentair TR60 sand filter
-Pentair 300k BTU heater
-King Technologies mineral/chlorine sanitizer
-4 Pentair Glo-brite LED lights
-2 Hayward 2” skimmers
-2 Hayward 2” main drains
-5 Hayward return housings
-2’ in-wall ladder and hand rails
-Cardinal 20’ full width three tread step with 6’ baja shelf and hand rail
-Legend in-wall pool cleaner with additional Pentair 3/4hp booster pump
-Premier 20mil pool liner with liner over textured steps
-First year opening and closing of pool
-Complete pool maintenance kit
Total cost for the above listed materials and labor $82,250

Options

-Upgrade to Pentair Intelli-Flo variable speed energy savings pump$1175
-Pentair Easy-touch automated/programable timer pool panel$1550
-Pentair actuated valve $515
-Pentair Screen logic package (run pool via phone or computer)$1360
-2’ Stamped coping border$6980
-Flush deck mounted water spray jet$730ea
-SR Smith typhoon pool slide$4590
-Grey winter safety cover with anchors$2850
-Total basketball kit including anchors and bonding$1150

Total cost including options listed above$????

- Coverstar automaton pool cover - consider how you want the cover equipment lid to integrate with your deck
-Pentair Pool Products Whisper-flo 1.5hp pool pump - get an Intelliflo 011028 or 011056 pump that will work with future automation
-Pentair TR60 sand filter - ok
-Pentair 300k BTU heater - get a 400K BTU heater if you have the gas service for it. For a small increase in cost it will heat the pool faster. NG or propane?
-King Technologies mineral/chlorine sanitizer - delete - get a Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 or IC60 SWG - you never want a mineral system
-4 Pentair Glo-brite LED lights - Globrite lights have poor reliability and fail within a few years. They also use a proprietary niche which leaves you no other alternative lights to use. Get Micorbrite lights.
-2 Hayward 2” skimmers - ok
-2 Hayward 2” main drains - ok
-5 Hayward return housings - ok
-2’ in-wall ladder and hand rails - ok
-Cardinal 20’ full width three tread step with 6’ baja shelf and hand rail - ok
-Legend in-wall pool cleaner with additional Pentair 3/4hp booster pump - delete and get a robot pool cleaner.
-Premier 20mil pool liner with liner over textured steps - ask about using a thicker liner

Options

-Upgrade to Pentair Intelli-Flo variable speed energy savings pump$1175 - must have
-Pentair Easy-touch automated/programable timer pool panel$1550 - must have Scrrenlogic if you get the ET. So $2,910 package. Consider IntelliCenter which is Pentair's 2020 era automation versus the 20 year old EasyTouch system.
-Pentair actuated valve $515 - for what?
-Pentair Screen logic package (run pool via phone or computer)$1360 - required with EasyTouch

- Coverstar automaton pool cover - consider how you want the cover equipment lid to integrate with your deck
-Pentair Pool Products Whisper-flo 1.5hp pool pump - get an Intelliflo 011028 or 011056 pump that will work with future automation
-Pentair TR60 sand filter - ok
-Pentair 300k BTU heater - get a 400K BTU heater if you have the gas service for it. For a small increase in cost it will heat the pool faster. NG or propane?
-King Technologies mineral/chlorine sanitizer - delete - get a Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 or IC60 SWG - you never want a mineral system
-4 Pentair Glo-brite LED lights - Globrite lights have poor reliability and fail within a few years. They also use a proprietary niche which leaves you no other alternative lights to use. Get Micorbrite lights.
-2 Hayward 2” skimmers - ok
-2 Hayward 2” main drains - ok
-5 Hayward return housings - ok
-2’ in-wall ladder and hand rails - ok
-Cardinal 20’ full width three tread step with 6’ baja shelf and hand rail - ok
-Legend in-wall pool cleaner with additional Pentair 3/4hp booster pump - delete and get a robot pool cleaner.
-Premier 20mil pool liner with liner over textured steps - ask about using a thicker liner

Options

-Upgrade to Pentair Intelli-Flo variable speed energy savings pump$1175 - must have
-Pentair Easy-touch automated/programable timer pool panel$1550 - must have Scrrenlogic if you get the ET. So $2,910 package. Consider IntelliCenter which is Pentair's 2020 era automation versus the 20 year old EasyTouch system.
-Pentair actuated valve $515 - for what?
-Pentair Screen logic package (run pool via phone or computer)$1360 - required with EasyTouch

Thanks for that help.

-I will ask how they set up the automatic cover equipment lid.
-I had planned on upgrading to the VS Pump.
-I actually plan on probably using a heat pump instead. But if, if for some reason I stick with a gas heater, I will consider going up to 400k BTU. It will be NG. It should have enough gas flow. I am building the house at the same time and the builder is running a full main line out to the pool.
-I have asked them to price out a SWG.
-I will ask about the MicroBrite lights rather than the Globrite.
-I will ask about a robot cleaner. Which do you recommend?
-I planned on doing the 28mil liner instead of the 20mil.
-I had planned on doing some kind of automation. I just didn't know which system. Thanks for the recommendation and the info.
-I am not sure what the valves are for exactly, I will ask.

Thanks for that help.

-I will ask how they set up the automatic cover equipment lid.
-I had planned on upgrading to the VS Pump.
-I actually plan on probably using a heat pump instead. But if, if for some reason I stick with a gas heater, I will consider going up to 400k BTU. It will be NG. It should have enough gas flow. I am building the house at the same time and the builder is running a full main line out to the pool.
-I have asked them to price out a SWG.
-I will ask about the MicroBrite lights rather than the Globrite.
-I will ask about a robot cleaner. Which do you recommend?
-I planned on doing the 28mil liner instead of the 20mil.
-I had planned on doing some kind of automation. I just didn't know which system. Thanks for the recommendation and the info.
-I am not sure what the valves are for exactly, I will ask.
I haven't built pool yet (spring 2022) but I echo all of @ajw22 sentiments. If you're considering heat pump look at the UltraTemp 140 or UltraTemp Hybrid if you have gas connection ready to go (I'm doing UT 140 in Cleveland, OH). Based on your pool features, you may be able to get away with the very basic Pentair IntelliConnect depending upon what you ultimately want out of automation.

If you're considering heat pump look at the UltraTemp 140 or UltraTemp Hybrid if you have gas connection ready to go (I'm doing UT 140 in Cleveland, OH).

If you price out the UltraTemp Hybrid compared to getting two separate units - a MasterTemp gas heater and a UltraTemp HP - you will find the UltraTemp is no bargain. Getting separate units will save you a lot when one part of the heater breaks and you don't need to replace the entire unit.

Don't get a heatpump (straight or hybrid) for Nebraska! If you want a heater, get gas (and get the biggest one you can). You may need to increase the size of your gas line for the added capacity.
I have a few friends with pools and they have a heat pump and they love it. Most though recommend a heat pump AND a heater so that you can save money during the summer with the heat pump but also heat the pool with gas at the front end and back end of the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.