Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi TFP,

Hoping to get some input. Still waiting on one more quote, but below and attached are details on the leader so far. Any insight or thoughts on what you see that's right, wrong, or doesn't make any sense would be really appreciated.

A few items:
1) The "Premium Backfill" is 304 recycled aggregate. Any downside into using that instead of 57 stone or equivalent?
2) No footer drainage, is that needed? It doesn't appear our yard will have a groundwater problem.
3) No automation system is included
4) The SWG is Pentair Intellichlor
5) 3 Returns
6) Pentair 1.5 HP Variable Speed Pump
7) No main drains (I don't personally have an issue with this, a pool I had at my previous home did not include main drains)
8) While I'm comfortable with this pool builder (great references, been around a while, does lots of pools, very responsive and listens to me), I have some hesitation because he doesn't do all the work, subcontracts some out, and the build process from start to finish is likely a 6 week or more timeframe. The other builder I'm waiting on last quote from I was leaning to initially because he only runs one crew, he does all the work and is on site every day, and he typically does his builds in 10 days or less (also has greater references). However, I'm afraid his quote will come back too high.

Thanks again for all your help and input, fire away with any questions and thoughts.

Attachments

• CleAquaPro Contract pg 1.JPG
    CleAquaPro Contract pg 1.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 281
  • CleAquaPro Contract pg 2.JPG
    CleAquaPro Contract pg 2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 261
  • koenig IG proposal 2020[1621].pdf
    108.3 KB · Views: 134
Hiya TK :)

Just a couple of comments on the quote-
Water?- is your house on a well that you need trucked in water? If so, do you know if the water is metal free?

I would advise you to go with actual #20 pool sand, instead of Zeo. Zeo is not only more costly, many find it doesn't work any better. One can always tweak sand later with added DE if having problems.

LOVE the depth and diving board!!

Good choice on the SWG and pump.

I don't know that I'd worry about not having a 10 day construction this time of year....but you can add a "finish date" to your contract that requires them to be DONE or.... else?? (what that "ELSE" is is up to you)

On my pool build I liked that that same crew did everything except the cement decking. I was very impressed with the crew and liked that the same guys were there day in, day out.

Keep us posted on the build, please :)

Maddie

3) No automation system is included

TK,

Does this mean you want automation??? I only ask because the 1.5 HP SuperFlo VS cannot be controlled by automation. If you want automation, the pump needs to an 3 HP IntelliFlo style pump.

Make sure any SWCG that you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K salt cell..

I agree with Maddie.. Ditch Zeo and go with sand..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just a couple of comments on the quote-
Water?- is your house on a well that you need trucked in water? If so, do you know if the water is metal free?

I don't know that I'd worry about not having a 10 day construction this time of year....but you can add a "finish date" to your contract that requires them to be DONE or.... else?? (what that "ELSE" is is up to you)

Appreciate the excitement, and thanks for the tips and comments Maddie. Some answers:

I'm on Cleveland city water, not well. I haven't asked about the water yet, but will definitely look into the "metal free." I'd thought about it, just hadn't crossed that bridge.

The reason I mentioned the construction timeframes is because nobody is building until 2021, and July is the earliest I've found anybody to start a build. 10 days means I'm swimming in a July, and a contract that gives them 60 days from dig means a July start means it's possible we have no swimming during the 2021 summer.

Does this mean you want automation??? I only ask because the 1.5 HP SuperFlo VS cannot be controlled by automation. If you want automation, the pump needs to an 3 HP IntelliFlo style pump.

Make sure any SWCG that you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K salt cell..

I agree with Maddie.. Ditch Zeo and go with sand..

Thanks! I don't know if I want automation or not. Last pool I had was so simple, that I'd never would have considered it. However, with VS pump, SWCG, lights, and heater, I'm wondering if it might be worth it.

It is a Pentair VS pump, just don't know which model, will have to get that.

Thanks for the reminder on 2x for the SWCG and doubling the confirmation on the Zeo!

I see you also have a heat pump and lights in the quote. Are they putting in an Intermatic load center and timer?

I had not heard of this before, but here is the answer I got when I asked if automation was included in the quote, "There is no automation included. You do not need automation unless you really want it. The only thing you would be controlling is the water temperature and turning the light on and off. The pump already is variable speed and has an internal clock and timer." Do I need to insist on this load center and timer or an automation system?

I assume they will have an electrical subpanel at the pad and providing an external transformer for the SWG. Automation can be expensive, but you can get a basic system from Pentair called IntelliConnect at around $300 that only has two relays and is controlled via a phone/tablet. The caveat as Jim already alluded to is that you will need to upgrade your SuperFlo pump to an IntelliFlo for automation purposes. I would ask them to cost that up for you and then you can make a decision if it's worth it to you or not, but it will control your VS pump, SWCG, lights, and heater.

I assume they will have an electrical subpanel at the pad and providing an external transformer for the SWG. Automation can be expensive, but you can get a basic system from Pentair called IntelliConnect at around $300 that only has two relays and is controlled via a phone/tablet. The caveat as Jim already alluded to is that you will need to upgrade your SuperFlo pump to an IntelliFlo for automation purposes. I would ask them to cost that up for you and then you can make a decision if it's worth it to you or not, but it will control your VS pump, SWCG, lights, and heater.

Thanks so much for the input and insight on the IntelliConnect, great recommendations.

Check and see if they've included charges for water that may well be much higher than just filling the pool from your home bib. Decide if having trucked in water filling quickly is worth more to you than a slower fill with city water.

Maddie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, apparently I went with the wrong contractor. I'm so jealous of everyone (been following @Casey and her just finished pool) who actually got their pool built. I've been waiting since 2012 to build a pool, started researching seriously in 2018, signed a contract October 2020 with expected build in July 2021. Wanted to save a few bucks, so between 2 contractors I was confident in their build history I went with the one who I knew the build would take longer. In hindsight, should've paid more, I would've been swimming in July 2021. At this point, I don't have a start time for my build other than my expectation that I will be the first build on his schedule in 2021.

The one thing that really eats at me is that I've already sent additional business this pool builder's way. My neighbor signed a contract to have him build a pool for them after I referred him. I'm told all his employees quit this year, so it's just taken longer to get projects done but it's always in the back of my mind the he's delayed my project in order to do mine and my neighbors together since with all the product shortages he wasn't able to get my neighbors equipment and supplies this year.

So I'm stuck waiting around for another winter tracking all your statuses. Thanks for posting all your updates so I know at least some people are getting their pools! I'll post updates as they come in, but looking like a May 2021 build.

Hey TK !! Don’t beat yourself up too bad. I had my PB build me my 2nd pool. He was struggling to get all the parts and when he did, the liner manufacturers lost the raw materials to make more. So I was delayed a good deal and have now been 3 months waiting for the liner companies, also with no expected date.

I have a long history of good things with my guy. Two of his own close family members are waiting with me, so it’s not a matter of preferred customer status. In the end maybe the other company had better luck with their suppliers, but I’d still choose to wait for my guy. Trust your gut. 3 years from now this will barely be a blip on your radar.

Hey TK !! Don’t beat yourself up too bad. I had my PB build me my 2nd pool. He was struggling to get all the parts and when he did, the liner manufacturers lost the raw materials to make more. So I was delayed a good deal and have now been 3 months waiting for the liner companies, also with no expected date.

I have a long history of good things with my guy. Two of his own close family members are waiting with me, so it’s not a matter of preferred customer status. In the end maybe the other company had better luck with their suppliers, but I’d still choose to wait for my guy. Trust your gut. 3 years from now this will barely be a blip on your radar.
Thanks for the encouragement @Newdude I know lots of people are playing the waiting game, sucks you're stuck waiting, but glad you've got a good history and confidence in your PB. I almost wish my problem was an equipment one. All my stuff is sitting in the warehouse just waiting on the builder to have the time. What's the bible verse, God won't give you patience, he gives you an opportunity to be patient, or something along those lines!

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
The wait is the hardest. Let's hope you can get it in n swimming by summer.

Getting a little closer to my build. Unfortunately, city engineer who previously told me the old topo for my property was sufficient says it no longer is and I need a new topographic survey. Anyone had to do a topographic survey for their build lately, cost estimates? (I realize there could be huge variations across the country, I'm in Ohio).

Well, my backyard is a muddy/swampy wet mess after rain and melting 2 feet of snow, but we are getting closer! Somehow they were able to complete a topographic survey in between blizzards and snow everywhere! I know people like pics on here, and since I don't have any good pics of the pool being built since it hasn't started and it's too dark outside to show the mud, I thought I'd post a couple diagrams I drew along with the site plan I just got back. Sucks waiting!

Attachments

• Equipment Pad Layout.jpg
    Equipment Pad Layout.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Pool Layout.jpg
    Pool Layout.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Trevor Koenig for review.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Lanzz
If you are doing a heater bypass, you will also need a check valve coming out of your heater, before the tee to your SWCG. I would also consider installing individual 2 way diverters on your suction lines instead of the 3 way, that way you can dial in the flow from each one independently. With the single 3 way, one will always be full open. May not be necessary, but I'm neurotic like that.

--Jeff

If you are doing a heater bypass, you will also need a check valve coming out of your heater, before the tee to your SWCG. I would also consider installing individual 2 way diverters on your suction lines instead of the 3 way, that way you can dial in the flow from each one independently. With the single 3 way, one will always be full open. May not be necessary, but I'm neurotic like that.

--Jeff
Thanks for the tip on the suction/return 2 way diverters, hadn't thought about that. As for the heater/SWCG, I thought a check valve would be needed but have seen a couple conflicting thoughts on it so didn't think it was necessary. Thought I saw a post once that said the check valve is only needed between heater and chlorine puck/tab feeder, not a SWCG. Better safe than sorry putting a check valve in between the heater and SWCG though! Thanks!

For a heater bypass the check valve is used to prevent water from flowing back into the heater, not for any concerns regarding excessively chlorinated water. I can definitely understand the confusion though, as it is not necessary for a SWCG, as long as there is no heater bypass installed.

--Jeff

Reactions: TKpoolOH
So close to having things ready, and yet so far! If I'd have known I needed a new topo earlier (only been waiting 18 months), I wouldn't have had to have a site survey done with 2 feet of snow on the ground and they missed the drainage basins in the yard, so the permit application is wrong and needs to be redone. I feel like the GC on this, if I wasn't following up and asking questions between the PB, city, suppliers, surveyors, etc. then nothing would get done. It's terrible to go the OB route with none of the cost savings! Patience is a virtue! Praying for a dry spring to get this thing done.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.