Pool Build Quotes

TKpool7683

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Hi TFP,

Hoping to get some input. Still waiting on one more quote, but below and attached are details on the leader so far. Any insight or thoughts on what you see that's right, wrong, or doesn't make any sense would be really appreciated.

A few items:
1) The "Premium Backfill" is 304 recycled aggregate. Any downside into using that instead of 57 stone or equivalent?
2) No footer drainage, is that needed? It doesn't appear our yard will have a groundwater problem.
3) No automation system is included
4) The SWG is Pentair Intellichlor
5) 3 Returns
6) Pentair 1.5 HP Variable Speed Pump
7) No main drains (I don't personally have an issue with this, a pool I had at my previous home did not include main drains)
8) While I'm comfortable with this pool builder (great references, been around a while, does lots of pools, very responsive and listens to me), I have some hesitation because he doesn't do all the work, subcontracts some out, and the build process from start to finish is likely a 6 week or more timeframe. The other builder I'm waiting on last quote from I was leaning to initially because he only runs one crew, he does all the work and is on site every day, and he typically does his builds in 10 days or less (also has greater references). However, I'm afraid his quote will come back too high.

Thanks again for all your help and input, fire away with any questions and thoughts.

Attachments

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Hiya TK :)

Just a couple of comments on the quote-
Water?- is your house on a well that you need trucked in water? If so, do you know if the water is metal free?

I would advise you to go with actual #20 pool sand, instead of Zeo. Zeo is not only more costly, many find it doesn't work any better. One can always tweak sand later with added DE if having problems.

LOVE the depth and diving board!!

Good choice on the SWG and pump.

I don't know that I'd worry about not having a 10 day construction this time of year....but you can add a "finish date" to your contract that requires them to be DONE or.... else?? (what that "ELSE" is is up to you)

On my pool build I liked that that same crew did everything except the cement decking. I was very impressed with the crew and liked that the same guys were there day in, day out.

Keep us posted on the build, please :)

Maddie

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
3) No automation system is included
TK,

Does this mean you want automation??? I only ask because the 1.5 HP SuperFlo VS cannot be controlled by automation. If you want automation, the pump needs to an 3 HP IntelliFlo style pump.

Make sure any SWCG that you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K salt cell..

I agree with Maddie.. Ditch Zeo and go with sand..

Thanks,

Jim R.

TKpool7683

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Just a couple of comments on the quote-
Water?- is your house on a well that you need trucked in water? If so, do you know if the water is metal free?

I don't know that I'd worry about not having a 10 day construction this time of year....but you can add a "finish date" to your contract that requires them to be DONE or.... else?? (what that "ELSE" is is up to you)
Appreciate the excitement, and thanks for the tips and comments Maddie. Some answers:

I'm on Cleveland city water, not well. I haven't asked about the water yet, but will definitely look into the "metal free." I'd thought about it, just hadn't crossed that bridge.

The reason I mentioned the construction timeframes is because nobody is building until 2021, and July is the earliest I've found anybody to start a build. 10 days means I'm swimming in a July, and a contract that gives them 60 days from dig means a July start means it's possible we have no swimming during the 2021 summer.

TKpool7683

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Does this mean you want automation??? I only ask because the 1.5 HP SuperFlo VS cannot be controlled by automation. If you want automation, the pump needs to an 3 HP IntelliFlo style pump.

Make sure any SWCG that you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. A 20K pool needs a 40K salt cell..

I agree with Maddie.. Ditch Zeo and go with sand..
Thanks! I don't know if I want automation or not. Last pool I had was so simple, that I'd never would have considered it. However, with VS pump, SWCG, lights, and heater, I'm wondering if it might be worth it.

It is a Pentair VS pump, just don't know which model, will have to get that.

Thanks for the reminder on 2x for the SWCG and doubling the confirmation on the Zeo!

TKpool7683

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I see you also have a heat pump and lights in the quote. Are they putting in an Intermatic load center and timer?
I had not heard of this before, but here is the answer I got when I asked if automation was included in the quote, "There is no automation included. You do not need automation unless you really want it. The only thing you would be controlling is the water temperature and turning the light on and off. The pump already is variable speed and has an internal clock and timer." Do I need to insist on this load center and timer or an automation system?

guinness

May 3, 2019
California
I assume they will have an electrical subpanel at the pad and providing an external transformer for the SWG. Automation can be expensive, but you can get a basic system from Pentair called IntelliConnect at around $300 that only has two relays and is controlled via a phone/tablet. The caveat as Jim already alluded to is that you will need to upgrade your SuperFlo pump to an IntelliFlo for automation purposes. I would ask them to cost that up for you and then you can make a decision if it's worth it to you or not, but it will control your VS pump, SWCG, lights, and heater.

TKpool7683

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I assume they will have an electrical subpanel at the pad and providing an external transformer for the SWG. Automation can be expensive, but you can get a basic system from Pentair called IntelliConnect at around $300 that only has two relays and is controlled via a phone/tablet. The caveat as Jim already alluded to is that you will need to upgrade your SuperFlo pump to an IntelliFlo for automation purposes. I would ask them to cost that up for you and then you can make a decision if it's worth it to you or not, but it will control your VS pump, SWCG, lights, and heater.

Thanks so much for the input and insight on the IntelliConnect, great recommendations.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Check and see if they've included charges for water that may well be much higher than just filling the pool from your home bib. Decide if having trucked in water filling quickly is worth more to you than a slower fill with city water.

Maddie