Pool Build

Appreciate the feedback! Great question about the spa jets. Yes, the hydro jets are supposed to be controlled separately from the floor jets. I can have either turned on/off independently. To do this, the PB said he'll add an actuator. Here's what the contract states:

1.5 HP Silncer Air Blower For Spa Jets (with Acutator for foot jets run (2) air lines )

Does this sound right?

Edited: updated typo of 5 HP to 1.5.
Now just monitor the plumbers that they follow the plan. I like the plumbing diagram they provided. Once everything is installed and before they cover it up, you can count lines and ensure it matches to the diagram.

I'll be sure to pay extra attention to this stage of the process. Hopefully they label the runs, but I'll ask them to label them just in case they didn't have plans.

I'll be sure to pay extra attention to this stage of the process. Hopefully they label the runs, but I'll ask them to label them just in case they didn't have plans.
I am almost positive they will not label them the way that an individual who has to use them will want them labelled so you will probably need to verify it once all is in and they put it on test for 24-48 hrs. Also, you have a lot of pipes (I counted 13) running to or from your equipment pad. I would make sure you have an oversized pad and space things out as you will be the one doing maintenance on the filter, pump, etc so have room to move around and be able to access things such as drain plugs (Pump, filter & heater). Use unions to connect your pumps and the SWCG. Normally filters and heaters have unions on their inlet and outlet pipes.
One other item, it does not show and it is not critical, but you could request a heater bypass line. this allows you to bypass the heater if you need to take it out of service or simply do not want to flow water through it on a continuous basis. Some like it alot and others don't have it or do not have the room to put it in.

You're probably right about the labels, one can hope. I may have to take matters in my own hands!

Good point about the oversized equipment pad. I'll see what I can get. I don't think it will be an issue since I have a lot of room on the side of the house where it's going.

I'll ask them to use unions on the connections for the pumps and SWCG.

Asking for the heater bypass should be a treat. I had a interesting time trying to have the in-floor bypassed, but I was finally able to communicate it correctly and the reasoning behind my request. Nevertheless, I'll see if the PB will throw another bypass into the mix. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
You are close to us on the Texas coast. I'm watching your build with interest. We are a little ahead of you with Gunite and plumbing already in. I wish we had found this forum prior to signing our contract. We are happy with our builder for the most part- some plumbing issues but we are confident the PB will make them right. We are also getting Pentair equipment and SWCG, a spa, tanning ledge with bubblers and a rock waterfall. We chose wet edge pebble plaster. Great job negotiating your contract and good luck with the build!

...We chose wet edge pebble plaster. Great job negotiating your contract and good luck with the build!
Thanks @colleenbevans We are thinking about going with wet edge (Tahoe Coast) ourselves, but still undecided. I feel like there are a lot of choices (as with everything else!). We want a medium blue color (not too dark or light) and nothing too rough.

Asking for the heater bypass should be a treat. I had a interesting time trying to have the in-floor bypassed, but I was finally able to communicate it correctly and the reasoning behind my request. Nevertheless, I'll see if the PB will throw another bypass into the mix. Wish me luck.
Refer to this build where the owner had multiple by-passes (heater, IFCS, etc. ) At least you can show your PB that other PB's have done it.

Refer to this build where the owner had multiple by-passes (heater, IFCS, etc. ) At least you can show your PB that other PB's have done it.
I just stumbled on this... That is my build. It should be noted that the PB did not do all of that, mostly because I didn't know to ask for all of that. I did quite a bit of re-work afterwards. But, had I asked for it, I am confident that my PB would have done it. I did ask about a heater bypass and they brought up the internal bypass. Had I known what I do now about heater bypass loops, I would have explained the point about service and pushed for that. Although it wouldn't have been done how I wanted so I was happy to let them go and get my hands on it. LOL!

But no reason not to tell your PB that others are capable of doing it. ;)

I swear, the next pool I'm doing Owner Build. :laughblue:

--Jeff

Reactions: HermanTX
Check out the Wet Edge signature matrix line- supposed to be smoother than typical pebble.
Never heard of that line. I looked it up and it looks like it might fit the bill. I'll have to run this past the PB to see if there is an upcharge for it.

Funny you mention that build. I had some pretty extensive conversations with the owner @Turbo1Ton about putting in the bypass for the IFCS. He was super helpful and actually supplied the plumbing diagram for the IFCS bypass that I shared with my PB. Attaching it here in case it helps someone else.

@Turbo1Ton Care to share the plumbing diagram for the heater bypass 😁

IFCS Bypass_v1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@HermanTX How are you liking the wet edge primera stone pebble?
It has been great. They did a good job of sanding it after application. Although it is smooth, is not slippery. I have been very pleased and my installer came out 2 years later to check all is ok.

Reactions: texantoasted
I talked to the PB, and we are getting a heater bypass. Funny enough, before speaking to the PB, I chatted with a friend that lost his heater during the winter storm in Texas. His PB had to come out and put in a bypass to get his pool running again! He mentioned that he is currently without a heater and will be for the foreseeable future. Apparently, everyone else lost their heater!

So, where does that bring me? Well, my PB just called and said there is a shortage of Pentair heaters and said it could take 3-6 months or longer to get a Pentair heater. My pool build is scheduled to start next month. He did offer a couple of options:
  1. He stocked up on some Rheem (Raypak?) heaters and has those available to use.
  2. Wait for the Pentair stock to replenish, which will be a while.
It does look like there is another heater out there called Aquacal that has some decent reviews.

So now I am stuck at a crossroads with the heater. Should I move forward with the Rheem or wait for Pentair or look into the Aquacal?

1. He stocked up on some Rheem (Raypak?) heaters and has those available to use.
  2. Wait for the Pentair stock to replenish, which will be a while.
I have read good reviews regarding Raypak heaters. You may want to get the specific model number from the PB and then post back on forum to get more specific input.

Hello folks... The pool build has begun and it's about to get the final plumbing/electrical done this week! Here are some status pics up until this point:

Tight squeeze (7/14):
Pic1.jpg

Moving dirt (7/14)
Pic2.jpg

Taking shape (7/14)
Pic3.jpg

Rebar/Short Plumbing (7/16)
Pic4.jpg

Long plumbing with ground water... (7/21)
Pic5.jpg

Gunite (7/21):

Pic6.jpg

Pic7.jpg

Current Status (8/9);

Pic8.jpg

Last edited:
They started the plumbing today but will need to come back tomorrow to finish. They had to hand dig almost all the ditches. I'll post some pics later, but I wanted to get some feedback from the community on the following:

The PB delivered most of the equipment, just waiting on the 3hp VSP. Amongst the equipment are two Pentair (619962) power supplies and a powerclean ultra inline chlorinator. I also have the i8PSIC40 in the garage. I was under the assumption I would not need the powerclean ultra inline chlorinator since I have the SWG. The PB talked to his startup crew, and they said it's good to have as a backup. The PB has asked if I still wanted it installed. I told him yes, but I wanted to see some opinions from the folks on here. I still have a little time to have it not installed.

Another item is the two power supplies. Considering the i8PSIC40 has a built-in power supply, are the two additional power supplies necessary? I will have the option to have the spa light on separately from the pool lights. Not sure if the two power supplies play a role in this setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.