Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Finally! I get to start my build thread. I've waited a year for this day, and we've finally broken ground. Our project was initially slated to start last summer, and due to supply chains being all jacked up, we weren't able to get the panels and liner we wanted until December. All's well that ends well, as they say, and that gave me plenty of time to get our pool house framed, interior finished, equipment set up, etc. Here are a few pictures to catch up on progress to date - that last one being a HOLE IN THE GROUND!!! Can't wait for this adventure. With any luck, we'll have water in the pool next week.
Capture.JPG
IMG_9877.jpgIMG_9911 1.jpgIMG_9950.jpgIMG_0160.jpgIMG_0433.jpgIMG_0282.jpgIMG_0446.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9911.jpg
    IMG_9911.jpg
    920.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Love
Reactions: B.lu and Casey
It's getting real! Hole is almost done, and they are planning to have the walls set Monday. There are some drainage issues to deal with because of this hard clay soil, but they are going to take care of that Monday as well - re-route a tile near where the steps will be and seal up the gravel vein so that the water follows the new path.

That leads me to my question: They have always used a portland / sand mix for the bottom. Given that we have a higher water table, should I push them to use Pool Crete / vermiculite? I'm torn between pushing them to use a product they don't typically work with and just trusting that their approach will be okay. They have been very particular up to this point, so I don't think they would knowingly do anything less than 100%. Note that they did put a sump in the 5' end (it's under the temp plywood strips to avoid clogging it while they finish grading the bottom. They are planning to backfill 100% with gravel, so there will be a path around the pool for natural drainage, and the tiles you can see on the pool house end are open to daylight in the woods, so there will be a natural path. Any thoughts or guidance would really be appreciated. Also open to any observations from the experts that I wouldn't even know to recognize. Thanks!

Wes
IMG_0465.jpgIMG_0464.jpgIMG_0463.jpgIMG_0462.jpgIMG_0461.jpg

@jimmythegreek Do you have a thought on his bottom material question for his high water table area?

Looking great W! What a perfect time for the project to be coming together. I’m opening today myself.

Reactions: wgipe
@jimmythegreek Do you have a thought on his bottom material question for his high water table area?

Looking great W! What a perfect time for the project to be coming together. I’m opening today myself.
Thanks! We have 3 boys, and they are beyond excited. Thanks fir the tag to Jimmy also - hopefully he has an opinion.

Sorry I haven't checked on, on the beach in Miami taking a quickie break from the north. If they use portland in their mix the sand will bind up and be similar to vermiculite consistently. Does the sump pit in the corner of pool house attach anywhere with drain pipe? You mentioned tile for ground water is it gravity to someplace or to this standpipe?

Sorry I haven't checked on, on the beach in Miami taking a quickie break from the north. If they use portland in their mix the sand will bind up and be similar to vermiculite consistently. Does the sump pit in the corner of pool house attach anywhere with drain pipe? You mentioned tile for ground water is it gravity to someplace or to this standpipe?
Enjoy the beach! Gosh knows we all need some time away.

They are great guys, and do not cut corners, so I’m quite sure they wouldn’t knowingly do anything less than 100%. That said, they only build a few pools a year (mostly a high end Homebuilder - doing the pool as a favor). He had me do the equipment pad myself because he didn’t do automation.

The sump pit was done at my request. It is a standpipe that the tile under the deep end runs into. Too deep to go to daylight, so they are going to run a tile over from the main 8” tile that goes to daylight in the woods and tie it into the standpipe. They rerouted a bunch of tile today and got things dried up, so my anticipation is that it will only need to be used when we drain or replace the liner - just drop in a pump and pump into the tile. Worst case is I have to keep a sump pump in there with a float switch. Does that seem like a reasonable plan?

Last edited:
Yeah that should be fine. As long as water doeant sit at a natural level in the top 24" of native soil the liner will never float. I have 3 similar pits alongside my personal pool with vertical float sumps running 24/7. I keep them around 3' down amd my drains around the pool collar dump into them. After time the water slows down amd the ground naturally dries out. It's good insurance to overdue drainage now as it's a mess later to add so it sounds like your taking extra care to avoid that, smart move. What I do is put an outdoor rated outlet next to the sump amd use a piece of conduit out of the outlet box amd run it into the side of the PVC standpipe amd seal the penetration with lamdscape fabric. In the event you need to keep a pump in there you can cut the cord end, fish it thru, amd hardwired it to the load side of a gfci outlet amd it's all hidden. Throw a lid on the standpipe after flush cutting it and your all set.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
did you have a bathroom in your pool house?
If so, how was it ran for drainage and sewer?
We do not. I didn’t want to go to the expense of a pump station, etc. to get it up to our septic system. We have a barn nearby that has a bathroom in it, so we’re just going to have people use that.

Yeah that should be fine. As long as water doeant sit at a natural level in the top 24" of native soil the liner will never float. I have 3 similar pits alongside my personal pool with vertical float sumps running 24/7. I keep them around 3' down amd my drains around the pool collar dump into them. After time the water slows down amd the ground naturally dries out. It's good insurance to overdue drainage now as it's a mess later to add so it sounds like your taking extra care to avoid that, smart move. What I do is put an outdoor rated outlet next to the sump amd use a piece of conduit out of the outlet box amd run it into the side of the PVC standpipe amd seal the penetration with lamdscape fabric. In the event you need to keep a pump in there you can cut the cord end, fish it thru, amd hardwired it to the load side of a gfci outlet amd it's all hidden. Throw a lid on the standpipe after flush cutting it and your all set.
Thanks man. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your guidance. I feel much better about what we’re doing here now.

Sooo much prep, then bam, the pool itself is in and soon to be filled. Looking good! Then LOTS of details. Stay focused, eat healthy, and get plenty of sleep to keep on your game. :) You won’t, but some people get overwhelmed by the late details and it causes issues.

Sooo much prep, then bam, the pool itself is in and soon to be filled. Looking good! Then LOTS of details. Stay focused, eat healthy, and get plenty of sleep to keep on your game. :) You won’t, but some people get overwhelmed by the late details and it causes issues.
I think I’m more excited than the kids. I’m renting a trencher for my skid loader tomorrow to trench in gas to the heater and fire pit, and I think that’s about all I need to do before balancing water. All the Polywood stuff is built, so we are just waiting on a deck to put it on next week.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Rain. Ugh. It's been raining pretty steadily here for the last several days, so progress has slowed a bit, and the site is a muddy mess. The trench pit walls have collapsed a bit. I assume that's not a big deal - just use a bit more gravel to backfill. Skimmers, light niches, and returns are mounted, steel walls have been cleaned up, and Coverstar is scheduled to be here Monday morning first thing to set the cover box and install the track. I guess they come back to install the actual cover later. I did get gas to the heater and fire pit locations, so that's ahead of schedule. Been pumping the sump pit and pool bottom out a few times a day just to be safe. Looks like the weather should be better this week, so hoping we can make up some lost time.IMG_0518.jpg

Progress! Plumbing has been started, and the cover box is in. Tomorrow, conduit, sprinkler lines, etc. First load of water scheduled for Thursday. Extra points if you can spot the part that has to be redone tomorrow...D95FC803-4176-48A0-BD0A-53F07654077B.jpeg

Picture not quite clear enough, but plumbing fitting DWV?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.