Pool Build in Northern CA - MORE pictures

Work is still progressing. More ledgestone has gone up on the back wall of the pool, and lots of other masonry work is taking place in our backyard. We still have some more tile work to be completed on the pool, and the upper patio should be going in next week (right now we have stairs to nowhere).

upperwall6.jpg upperwall3.jpg upperwall4.jpg upperwall5.jpg

Not the most exciting, but our equipment pad and retaining wall are ready
I did not realize you were going with a In Floor Cleaning System (IFCS). Opinions vary greatly on this forum about IFCS. I personally love mine. You will find you can improve on the efficiency of the system by trying different approaches other than the recommend instructions from the PB or manufacturer. Are you planning on using automation? Most automation does not allow for variable valve positioning. I know one of them now offers this feature, I just can not recall which one it is just now. This feature would offer much more flexibility with the IFCS.

Reactions: kcarlile
I did not realize you were going with a In Floor Cleaning System (IFCS). Opinions vary greatly on this forum about IFCS. I personally love mine. You will find you can improve on the efficiency of the system by trying different approaches other than the recommend instructions from the PB or manufacturer. Are you planning on using automation? Most automation does not allow for variable valve positioning. I know one of them now offers this feature, I just can not recall which one it is just now. This feature would offer much more flexibility with the IFCS.

Yes, I've realized that the IFCS aren't recommended here, but we are happy with this choice. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to ask my PB how this works with automation. I don't understand all the ins and outs of the automation yet. We are going with all Jandy equipment (that's what our PB uses) and Paramount for the IFCS.

I'm also in the camp who like the IFCS. I am, however, going to have to look into these 'other approaches' that Rich mentions. I have not done much to mess with my system since the pool was started up in January. My automation does not yet have variable valve positioning.

Pool and backyard are looking great! I am also curious about why the piping is on the back side of the equipment pad. Will be watching to see how the PB lays everything out.

--Jeff

Is it bad if pipes are in back of pad? I just noticed in our build drawing for pad the plumbing is back of our pad as well.

We have concrete all along side of house where our pad is going and they are going to cut out a small area of concrete along the wall for plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are going with all Jandy equipment
I am not sure if it is recommended or even possible to use a different automation control for different equipment. Hopefully @Jimrahbe could chime in and give you the name name of the system that allows variable valve positioning and his suggestions. I did not have any automation installed, I just came up with my own semiautomatic system that works well for me. I wired 2 valve actuators directly to 2 separate wall switches in my house. The details are here
This set up allows me set my valves to any position by simply activating the actuator with the wall switch and counting the seconds then turning off the actuator.
Just as a example here is how I am currently running my IFCS. I found that if you just do 2 hr cleaning cycle every day at the recommended high rpm of 3000 rpm ( my pool builder recommended 2750rpm and Paramount recommended 3000 rpm) this relies on suspending debris and hopefully pulling them in with the main drain or skimmer. The sweeping affect works well for heavy solids like sand but the more buoyant material like leaves and mulch just get suspended and what the main drain does not get will end up in the small piles. In addition to the high rpm 2 hr cycle we like to run the waterfall during the dinner hr as we have a great view of it from the kitchen and dining room. During this time I will run at 2500 rpm. The only returns I have for the pool are the IFCS and the waterfall. They are on a 3 way valve. So I can regulate the flow of to each. During the dinner hr I set the valve so there is just enough flow to the IFCS to pop up the heads and the rest of the flow goes to the waterfall. I have the suction on full main drain. This allows a very slow sweeping affect with a high rpm suction. This works well for sweeping the more buoyant debris into the main drain.
Most of the time I run the IFCS with full suction from the main drain, However during high debris times I find it helpful to run %50 skimmer and %50 main drain to get more of the debris off the surface. These are the reasons I would recommend having automation with variable valve capabilities.

At this point no pool automation offers true incremental valve positioning..

Jandy offers a system where you can calibrate a valve to any position, but then it is still a two position valve.. As an example.. The valve can be on or off... or it can be set to be 80% on and off.. You can recalibrate for something else, but it is still just two positions, one stop the other stop.

Pentair's new IntelliValve and the New IntelliCenter has a system that has yet to be released.. In theory, this new system will allow you to have multiple stops over the entire range of the valve's movement. The valve will provide feedback to the automation, so that the automation knows where it is.. Only God knows if or when it will be released. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am not sure if it is recommended or even possible to use a different automation control for different equipment. Hopefully @Jimrahbe could chime in and give you the name name of the system that allows variable valve positioning and his suggestions. I did not have any automation installed, I just came up with my own semiautomatic system that works well for me. I wired 2 valve actuators directly to 2 separate wall switches in my house. The details are here
This set up allows me set my valves to any position by simply activating the actuator with the wall switch and counting the seconds then turning off the actuator.
Just as a example here is how I am currently running my IFCS. I found that if you just do 2 hr cleaning cycle every day at the recommended high rpm of 3000 rpm ( my pool builder recommended 2750rpm and Paramount recommended 3000 rpm) this relies on suspending debris and hopefully pulling them in with the main drain or skimmer. The sweeping affect works well for heavy solids like sand but the more buoyant material like leaves and mulch just get suspended and what the main drain does not get will end up in the small piles. In addition to the high rpm 2 hr cycle we like to run the waterfall during the dinner hr as we have a great view of it from the kitchen and dining room. During this time I will run at 2500 rpm. The only returns I have for the pool are the IFCS and the waterfall. They are on a 3 way valve. So I can regulate the flow of to each. During the dinner hr I set the valve so there is just enough flow to the IFCS to pop up the heads and the rest of the flow goes to the waterfall. I have the suction on full main drain. This allows a very slow sweeping affect with a high rpm suction. This works well for sweeping the more buoyant debris into the main drain.
Most of the time I run the IFCS with full suction from the main drain, However during high debris times I find it helpful to run %50 skimmer and %50 main drain to get more of the debris off the surface. These are the reasons I would recommend having automation with variable valve capabilities.

Thanks for these details!

Our pool build was slowed down due the Northern California fires and our mandatory evacuation. Thanks to the very hard work of the firefighters, we had a home and in-progress pool to come back to :)

OH WOW. I can't imagine having to evacuate and leave this project sitting. I'm so glad your home, yard, and pool build were okay.

I can't believe the drama I find on this forum. I mean my heart was in my throat when I read your comment with evacuating and fires.

Your build is gorgeous. I'm sure the tile work will turn out the way you want. . . (Makes me wonder if I need to babysit the tiler when I'm at that step). Lovely plaster color. I'm enjoying viewing your pool as it's going in. But no more drama! Please!

Makes me wonder if I need to babysit the tiler when I'm at that step)
If at all possible you should be there during any work to keep an eye on them keep them hydrated and happy. If you are lucky you will get all great subs who care about their work and you can relax. Better safe than sorry and keep any eye on them when they are working so you can have them make any corrections before it gets too far along.

Some of the build threads and rehab threads become like a well written story! Oh and the green to clean threads!!! If you want I can share some of the more involved threads for you to read through!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.