Pool build and location

W.B.V

Mar 9, 2021
IA
Hi all. Ok so I'm prepping for my pool setup soon and trying figure a few things out and might have run into my first hiccup. Location. (TL;DR How close is too close to the house)

The pool is a 10' x 30" Intex Prisim and were planning on installing it on a space close to the house that is fairly level for the first 20' ish out then it goes downhill. In the pictures attached there are two shots looking at the house from a tree in our yard that is at that 20'ish foot mark and another that is looking down the back side of the house, standing on the edge of our basement patio (located on the far right edge of the house.

For reference we were initially planning on extending the patio another 36' along the back of the house so to about 2' from the rain downspout you see in one picture. This would make the back patio essentially 12' x 48' and was thinking about putting the pool on a section of that. The patio extension has been pushed back till next year. This has also made me rethink the pool due to being a tight fit to the house but I don't have much of an option without getting into some severe landscaping or even retaining walls.

Ok back to the pool. I've also seen many people talk about a min 10' distance from the house. While this could be done, I would have to dig down more just to level because that would put one edge of the pool right in line with that tree or even going a few feet past would be the beginning of a pretty good dip into the hill start.

Our city code only states that it only needs to be 10' minimum from any side or rear lot line so that's not an issue.
1. A permit is not required for prefabricated swimming pools which are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground. 2. In Residential Zones. o The use must be set back a minimum of 10 feet from any side or rear lot line.
The house itself is basically a 2 floor ranch built into a hill. main floor level with the top of the hill with a walkout basement so the floor of the basement is level with where the backyard begins, nothing below it, poured concrete foundation.

Will it be an issue to say have the pool 2 or 3 feet away from the house basically close to the side with the walkout patio already near our deck. That will be the easiest since it is close to an electrical outlet and won't be directly under that fun dryer vent in the middle of the two windows in that picture. This will also be better as the window on the left in the pictures is just our future rec room where the window on the right is a future bedroom (and also probably too close to that side lot line.)

Sorry if this is too much or too little information. Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Backyard - Imgur (1).jpg
    Backyard - Imgur (1).jpg
    896 KB · Views: 13
  • Backyard - Imgur (2).jpg
    Backyard - Imgur (2).jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Backyard - Imgur.jpg
    Backyard - Imgur.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 13
Will it be an issue to say have the pool 2 or 3 feet away from the house
Some have a pool quite close, but 2-3ft is quite close. Besides the concern of pool rupture and flooding towards the home, the other thought is maintenance. You want to ensure you have adequate room around the pool to take care of its exterior, surrounding landscaping, the home, etc. You were initially planning on having a deck extending about 12 ft away from that exterior wall, so I would consider placing the pool at the 12' edge of where the decking will go next year. That way you have the pool in-place with adequate room for both the house and decking. That's just my opinion. :)

Some have a pool quite close, but 2-3ft is quite close. Besides the concern of pool rupture and flooding towards the home, the other thought is maintenance. You want to ensure you have adequate room around the pool to take care of its exterior, surrounding landscaping, the home, etc. You were initially planning on having a deck extending about 12 ft away from that exterior wall, so I would consider placing the pool at the 12' edge of where the decking will go next year. That way you have the pool in-place with adequate room for both the house and decking. That's just my opinion. :)
I'll definitely have to double check the the grade at that point already 12' out then another 10' on top of that for the pool itself. Might end up being a lot of leveling and digging. I'm going to check all that out tomorrow with a nice long 2x4 and my level since I don't have a string level.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.