Pool bubbles from return

Pool123fun

Jun 27, 2019
Binghamton ny
I do not know a lot about pools, learning. My pool ran great for a month. I have a 17000 ig. The equipment was installed very high so I do have issues stArting it. I try to not turn it off. My current problem: air bubbles out of jets and noticed lower pressure but the filter tank jumped in one night to 20. Runs at 12. Yesterday I added a tab to chlorinator and hooked up manual vacuum. I normally use a swim vac top so that I can collect stuff in basket. The last few weeks while running vacuum , air bubbles started coming out. Only while vacuuming. So my swim vac top is old. I tried just using hose directly in skimmer . No bubbles . Thought all was good until this am when I found bubbles and pressure problem.
I raised my water level. No change. I have put the chlorinator top on again, no change .
I have used a pool sock so I really don’t think it needs backwashing. I did bump it , didn’t drop.

Hard to follow your explanation. When you say bubbles you mean coming out of the returns? If so and pump is hard to prime you have a leak. Vacuuming has nothing to do with it so keep that out of the investigation unless you have a dedicated port for the manual vacuum that could be leaking. The filter pressure shouldn't jump. What type of filter do you have

Funny, but tonight I noticed that my returns were blowing bubbles. I remembered this thread, and the fact that I had just opened the pump skimmer and cleaned it out. I went back over to it and opened it again and sure enough the rubber gasket had come out of its track and was twisted. Fixed it, closed it up, and the bubbles went away.

I have checked and lubed the pump basket seal. I backwashed Saturday. Pressure down to 14, no bubbles out of returns. Later same day pressure continues to rise. 16 Saturday, 18 Sunday. If I bump it, it will lower some but within a few hours back up. Yesterday back to 20. I do see very small bubbles in skimmer. Larger ones in pump basket. As the pressure goes up the bubbles increase in returns. My guess is air leak , but where? The first month after opening the pressure stayed at 12.

The pressure went up to 22 and there was no movement in pool. Bumping very difficult and it was not lowering pressure. Turned pump off for day. When I turned it back on pressure was back down to 14. Good flow in pool. Each hour the gauge increased. 3 hours later it was back to 19. Is this a suction air leak?

I think you have two problems.

1. The air in your system is a suction side leak. THIS article may help you find it.

2. You psi is increasing because there is debris (probably algae) in your pool that is clogging the filter. You may not see it but it is there.

I would suggest you fix the suction side leak first and then fix the debris immediately after that.

The two issues are not inter related.......treat them separately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.