Pool borates 80 ppm

How did you get that test result?

Borates are harmful to pets and even humans if too much of the water is ingested.

I have been using 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster and muriatic acid. I had to add two boxes of
borax this year to raise
the ph
Alkalinity, Clorine ans stabilizer levels are ok. According to the article it ok to use borax so sorry my question is do I need to replace the pool water? Water looks great!

If you have no pets, and no small children that ingest the pool water, then no, you do not need to drain the water.

Borates do effect CSI. I do not know if calcium scaling is an issue for you.

Irandine
I do in fact follow the guidelines regarding Borates that mknauss linked to and I have had great success and results with Borates using those methods.
I choose to obtain the Boric Acid from DudaDiesel. I know it's a bit more expensive going that route but much easier.
I initially adjusted the borate level to 50ppm. It has taken about a year for the level to go down to 40ppm (due to backwash's etc). I just raised it back to 50ppm using PoolMath as my guide.
I am currently using the "InstaTest" strips from LaMotte that I purchased on TFTestKits.net. That particular test kit seems to be satisfactory.

Good luck with your borates. For me, I am realizing all of the benefits of using Borates in my pool and you are right. Makes the pool water look GREAT!
All-the-best
r.

Reactions: CarolineM
Irandine
I do in fact follow the guidelines regarding Borates that mknauss linked to and I have had great success and results with Borates using those methods.
I choose to obtain the Boric Acid from DudaDiesel. I know it's a bit more expensive going that route but much easier.
I initially adjusted the borate level to 50ppm. It has taken about a year for the level to go down to 40ppm (due to backwash's etc). I just raised it back to 50ppm using PoolMath as my guide.
I am currently using the "InstaTest" strips from LaMotte that I purchased on TFTestKits.net. That particular test kit seems to be satisfactory.

Good luck with your borates. For me, I am realizing all of the benefits of using Borates in my pool and you are right. Makes the pool water look GREAT!
All-the-best
r.
Thank you for the advice!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the advice!!
No problem. Let me say however, that I do not pretend to be a pool chemistry expert by any means. mknauss and others on this site know more about pool care/chemistry than I ever will. I just follow their advice and obtain fantastic results by doing so. :p
r.

If you have no pets, and no small children that ingest the pool water, then no, you do not need to drain the water.

Borates do effect CSI. I do not know if calcium scaling is an issue for you.
Thank you for the advice!!!
No problem. Let me say however, that I do not pretend to be a pool chemistry expert by any means. mknauss and others on this site know more about pool care/chemistry than I ever will. I just follow their advice and obtain fantastic results by doing so. :p
r.
??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.