Pool blanket on all time or off sometimes

FIESTA62

May 31, 2020
BEACON HILL 2100 NSW
hi, just got a blanket for my new pool, i hear something about blanket should be taken off at certain times to prevent chemicals building up too much, is this true ?

as for heating does sun penetrate fully thru blanket during the day or am i supposed to remove during sunny days and put back on at night fall, if thats the case the blanket sounds like hard work,

i originally assumed i just leave blanket on full time until i swim, anyway what is the usual process u all do for using a blanket on a pool, thanks

The pool will heat up with the cover on or off. The cover should be removed every few days, during the day, to allow the release of combined chloramines. The advantages of a solar cover include the reduction of evaporation and it's ability to retain heat when outdoor temps are cooler than the water.

Reactions: Newdude
If my cover stayed on too long the water stunk the next time I opened the cover. The CCs burn off quick and 45 seconds later it was fine.

Mine would typically be on all the time unless we were swimming (usually on weekends) and I had no issues chemically.

They can be a lot of work to take on and off so by my 2nd season with a heater I stopped using it completely.

For a big pool a solar cover reel is a must. Getting the cover off otherwise is a PITA. Spend money on the reel. Covers are heavy and a good quality reel will last forever. The cheap ones not so much.

I leave it on anytime we're not swimming. It makes it easier to manage the chlorine without sunlight possibly burning off some FC. I can auto feed and keep the level I need, and run the chlorine pump as needed when it's open. I leave the cover on continuously for 1-2 weeks at a time when we go away or the weather is not desirable for swimming- as mentioned above, you smell the CC when the cover comes off, but it quickly dissipates.

i guess during summer my kids will swim at least once a week so the cover will be off then and i assume thats all it would need to let build up off chemicals release so i will do that, my pool is only 6 x 4 metres so not very big, i got a blanket on reel thats mounted under a long aluminium bench seat , i have not fitted yet, just getting info for when i do start to use it, thanks

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.