Pool Bid Critique Please - Georgia Build

First glance:
Dump the in floor cleaner, the ozone system and the assorted pumps. That size pool is fine with a single 3hp Variable Speed for the main and a spa pump. IMO, you are better off with cartridge filter compared to sand. I. would definitely adjust the payment schedule so you are more balanced, especially with 12K down, you have nearly 40K out of pocket at steel with no where near that much $ / work completed. The final payment should be something that compels the builder to complete the job on time and correctly, 10-15% of the total. Make sure you have drawings, including any setbacks or other requirements spec’d, a design that you approve of, and that’s done before giving a down.

Reactions: Beechwoodpool
First glance:
Dump the in floor cleaner, the ozone system and the assorted pumps. That size pool is fine with a single 3hp Variable Speed for the main and a spa pump. IMO, you are better off with cartridge filter compared to sand. I. would definitely adjust the payment schedule so you are more balanced, especially with 12K down, you have nearly 40K out of pocket at steel with no where near that much $ / work completed. The final payment should be something that compels the builder to complete the job on time and correctly, 10-15% of the total. Make sure you have drawings, including any setbacks or other requirements spec’d, a design that you approve of, and that’s done before giving a down.
Thank you!!!

ok, looked over this again....
Scope states “Electrical provided by owner or at additional cost” then “includes electrical connections to pad” then under options states “ electrical, gas and water from home to pad at additional cost”. To me, that’s a bit of a red flag. Appears they are running pool to pad only. IMO, one hires a builder to provide a turn key pool. With this contract, You are on the hook for running power, water and gas service to the pad. That’s not a turn key pool. Depending upon location, distance from the pad, type of service, etc..., that could cost you several thousand dollars each. Perhaps you planned on this and all is good, but I would recommend clarifying that and ensure you know what the actual costs are.

That Hayward cleaner is a suction side cleaner, IMO, you are better off with a robot, for the money.
Ensure the salt cell brand and size are listed and appropriately sized for the pool. I am not well versed with Hayward automation, but I would be looking for more detail , such as model #, configuration, etc...

I would want much more detail on the equipment such as manufacturer, type, and size (pump, filter, SWG or chlorinator, blower, lights, electric panel, control panel, etc.).

Something doesn't jive on his dimensions. He says the pool shell is 20' x 40'. But the swimming area is 738 SF (not 800 SF). Except for fiberglass pools, exterior dimensions are always water dimensions. What size pool are you expecting? 20' x 40'? If so, that's not what he's quoting.

I see you have an 8' end. Are you getting a diving board? Don't worry, I won't shame you if you are. I like them and have one. :)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No. No diving board. I figured it’s because there is hot tub integrated into the 20’ x 40’ shape? The 8’ is for Aquaaerobics:)
Yes, bingo on the size discrepancy. So no worries. Sounds like a nice size.

Yeah, that's not a great equipment setup. I'd recommend the following if going Hayward:

3HP Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump (non-SVRS model)
Hayward OmniLogic Smart Pool & Spa Control
T-Cell-15 Salt Chlorination TurboCell
Raypak gas heater with cupronickel fin tube material (works best for saltwater pools) Your heater doesn't need to be the same brand as the automation (all other equipment above must be Hayward if using automation). Raypak gas heaters are highly recommended here.

You may need additional accessories for the automation above, though I'm not an automation expert, so I can't say exactly which ones.

You don't need a blower for your spa. If properly plumbed, it is unnecessary. Again, I'm not that expert but it's true.

You definitely don't want that vacuum. Nix the pressure side cleaner and booster pump. Get a robot yourself like the Dolphin S200 or Active 20 twins. Less complexity, less electric usage, better performance. This one's a no-brainer.

Yes, bingo on the size discrepancy. So no worries. Sounds like a nice size.

Yeah, that's not a great equipment setup. I'd recommend the following if going Hayward:

3HP Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump (non-SVRS model)
Hayward OmniLogic Smart Pool & Spa Control
T-Cell-15 Salt Chlorination TurboCell
Raypak gas heater with cupronickel fin tube material (works best for saltwater pools) Your heater doesn't need to be the same brand as the automation (all other equipment above must be Hayward if using automation). Raypak gas heaters are highly recommended here.

You may need additional accessories for the automation above, though I'm not an automation expert, so I can't say exactly which ones.

You don't need a blower for your spa. If properly plumbed, it is unnecessary. Again, I'm not that expert but it's true.

You definitely don't want that vacuum. Nix the pressure side cleaner and booster pump. Get a robot yourself like the Dolphin S200 or Active 20 twins. Less complexity, less electric usage, better performance. This one's a no-brainer.
Thank you!!!

This bid appears much clearer than the first, in terms of getting what you are paying for. Good place to start. Most PBs want you to see pretty Pics, sign and not ask questions. It’s a huge investment of your money, so you’ve come to the right place to learn the right questions to ask. Check out pool school and the associated links, lots of good reading.

On equipment, +1 for the changes above, dump pressure side Cleaner, get a robot and look to automate , especially with pool and spa connected. If you call Poly Tech Or Inyo Pools, they may be able to assist you with an automation setup for Hayward.
I recommend cartridge filters over DE, less work and mess.

Three returns isn’t sufficient for that size pool. Should be about 5, based on skim locations.
Dual skims ?? ! Look for your prevailing winds for locating the skimmers.
Depending on the type and wattage of the light, you may find 3 lacking in a 40’ pool. Full size light you are OK with 3.
Not sure what “ extra steel “ implies, you may want to clarify. Typical is 12” square unless there’s a load, such as a patio cover column, close by, would ask to clarify.

Reactions: Beechwoodpool
I think the extra steel is because three of the pool walls will be exposed. The pool is on a slope.
On the cleaner, I feel like I see folks on both sides. From my understanding, the advantages of the Polaris are that you don’t have cords showing outside your pool, it’s lightweight, and you can repair components. The robots clean better, use less energy, but need to be wholesale replaced. Does it not make sense to try the Polaris and then later I can always get a robot, but I can’t go back and have it plumbed for the Polaris?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.