Pool Antifreeze question

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
I have read to put this in your lines of your inground pool as a extra level of caution--fair enough. I purchased 3 gallons. My pool is about 20 feet from my pump.
Just how much antifreeze do I need here ? Do people dillute this with water ? I read that one gallon covers 10 feet of pipe....that would seem like a LOT of antifreeze if the goal is to fill the pipes. Also, can we put pool antifreeze in the pump to protect it ?

IMO, the goal is to fill the lowest parts of the pipes. Those are the areas that keep water in them. The colder it gets, the more antifreeze you need. I put a gallon in each line. Returns, main drain, waste and skimmer. Less than $3 for a gallon is worth not worrying. I have an RV and plumbing in the pool house that all use the same antifreeze, so I buy it by the case.

The cyclone blows 99% of water from the lines and they do not require it. I’m old school and always was taught to fill the bottom of a skimmer with antifreeze and then use the empty jug in the mouth, but I’m soon going to abandon that and just fill the skimmers with cut up pool noodles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.