Pool and Paver Remodel- Help with a few options!

Moomeuh

Oct 24, 2019
Florida
We are in the process of re-doing our backyard pavers and pool area. We are in the process of getting estimates, but I have some questions for the experts:

1. One of the pool companies recommended that we do travertine pavers in a French pattern, with NO separate coping/border (they called it an "infinity edge"). I've found a sample photo below. We have a curved pool. Are there downsides to this plan? What happens in 10+ years when we need to refinish the pool (will it destroy the edge)? Is regular coping a better choice, or will this hold up fine?

1571926436395.png

2. We want to add a sun shelf and/or interior shelf along part of the pool, so our kids can play in an expanded shallow area. We don't plan to otherwise change the shell of the pool. Is this a problem to do with an existing pool? Will we have issues with adding this? Here is an example:

1571927016357.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
M,

While I like the look of the first pic, if this were my pool, I would want the standard coping in your second pic.. This makes it possible to replace either one in the future, should the need come up..

We have seen several threads where the sun-shelf was made larger and I did not notice any problems with it being reported. Just keep in mind the kids will get larger, the pool will not.. :laughblue:

Thanks,

Jim R.

We have a free-form pool and have basically up to 30" sections of travertine coping and then a French pattern travertine deck, we have had the pool for 1 1/2 seasons and love the travertine coping and deck. Not one complaint from myself or my wife. Love it! does not get hot on the feet even when its 110 outside, its warm but you can still walk on it without shoes and be ok. Regarding the French pattern edge or different, that's personal preference and up to you? Redoing the plaster or inside tile of your pool should not have any effect on your coping? The beauty of stone is its natural so it doesn't really go out of style.
The sun shelf depends on the size of your pool, we have one also and again really like it, you can go in and stand around and watch the kids etc. But you don't want it to be to big for your pool nor do you want to make it so small you cant put a lounge chair or two on it.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Agree stone is timeless and it's more of a monochromatic look when it all is same material. Regardless it will still have coping and cuts like coping so you can change material down the road. The issue becomes depth of material. Travertine is thinner so you would not be able to keep coping and change to paver decking without digging down the pavers are thicker. It boils down to what coping you use and then the deck is brought up or down from where it is now to meet it flush

Adding inside the pool is fine. Just make sure they dont skimp on tieing the structure together well. I assume it's a gunite pool and there is an art to this type of work. Therea no issue refinishing pool down the road coping stays put no problems there

The "coping" in the OP's first pic is really just part of the decking and not cut around the pool like normal coping is.. That is why I made the comment about future repair.. I did not mean to imply that the coping and the decking had to be different materials. I just personally like the idea that I could replace the coping or the decking in the future if I wanted..

Jim R.

I like it when the coping is in contrast to the the decking. To me it makes the pool stand out even more! It is YOUR pool so get what you like!

I agree about not making the shelf to fit your kids size now. Fit it to the adults in the house as the kids will grow as you know from having to buy their shoes and pants LOL

If you share a pic of your pool now I bet we can come up with some good ideas.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.