Polymer In Ground Pool Install Questions - Concrete Collar and Backfill

Jul 31, 2017
NJ
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey,

So I’m getting an 16 x 32 Polymer In-Ground pool installed in NJ. It will have a 3.5ft shallow end and a 5ft deep end.

So far they did they following:

- Excavated
- Built the kit
- Put the concrete mixture at the base of the pool (inside the pool)
- Connected the filter, heater, skimmers, all the piping, etc..

My question to you is:

Should they have poured a concrete collar at the base of the pool brackets along the outside of the pool for more support? They did not do that and everything is currently hooked up. With my depth of pool do they need to?

Also can they backfill with the dirt they excavated with or should they use gravel? Does it matter with my pool size and depth?

I have a lot of dirt left over and there’s actually a lot of roots and remnants of a sprinkler system.

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
I don't have any qualifications to say much - and I hate to say it, but there are many things here that I would be concerned about. Buried Flex pipe, over-excavation (that is a lot to back-fill without risk of settling), looks like pvc pipe as supports (maybe that is temporary), support sitting on top of plumbing, the quality of the valves being used, number of compression fittings, backfilling the pipe with dirt rather than gravel.

Reactions: Aquaman7
I don't have any qualifications to say much - and I hate to say it, but there are many things here that I would be concerned about. Buried Flex pipe, over-excavation (that is a lot to back-fill without risk of settling), looks like pvc pipe as supports (maybe that is temporary), support sitting on top of plumbing, the quality of the valves being used, number of compression fittings, backfilling the pipe with dirt rather than gravel.

Yeah I’m starting to realize they are really trying to cut corners it seems and are being a bit cheap

You need a concrete collar at the base of the pool. 5-8” graded away from the pool. No and, its or buts about it.

Hey,

So I’m getting an 16 x 32 Polymer In-Ground pool installed in NJ. It will have a 3.5ft shallow end and a 5ft deep end.

So far they did they following:

- Excavated
- Built the kit
- Put the concrete mixture at the base of the pool (inside the pool)
- Connected the filter, heater, skimmers, all the piping, etc..

My question to you is:

Should they have poured a concrete collar at the base of the pool brackets along the outside of the pool for more support? They did not do that and everything is currently hooked up. With my depth of pool do they need to?

Also can they backfill with the dirt they excavated with or should they use gravel? Does it matter with my pool size and depth?

I have a lot of dirt left over and there’s actually a lot of roots and remnants of a sprinkler system.

Thanks for the insight!
Yes to the collar. Is your pool bottom vermiculite? If so I am surprised they did it so early. Gravel is preferred as it compacts almost immediately and helps with drainage but this would of been spelled out in your contract. Gravel would cost more.

Yes to the collar. Is your pool bottom vermiculite? If so I am surprised they did it so early. Gravel is preferred as it compacts almost immediately and helps with drainage but this would of been spelled out in your contract. Gravel would cost more.

They didn’t say anything about gravel in the contract. There really isn’t any specifics other than what’s checked off on it for the most part and other basic stuff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.