Polaris 9550 first impressions

cruzr

Mar 8, 2014
St.Louis, Mo.
After ordering a Polaris 9550 from PSW, I received a Polaris 955 (white colored version) within 4 days. It was delivered in the factory sealed box, with some damage from UPS. The contents were fine, Polaris does a good job in packaging. The instructions are very clear and the assembly of caddy was easy. The robot comes assembled with the cord attached, and plugs into the control box mounted on the caddy. I was impressed by the build quality, fit, and strength of the parts. The top loading basket is large and very easy to clean. It has a bottom only cycle, bottom and side wall, and a waterline only cycle. The cycle times can be increased or decreased in 30 minute increments. There is also a 7 day programmable timer,and different cycles can be set for each day. Very handy for going out of town. I ran it through the different cycles, and it completely cleaned my pool in 1bottom and side cycle. After several thunderstorms had moved through, there was a lot of debree.I put it on bottom only cycle and it cleaned the entire bottom, without having to clean out the basket. It also does very well cleaning the waterline tiles, in a 45 minute cycle. My pool has one very small radius cove, and it does have difficulty getting around that in the waterline cycle. So I start the cycle just past the radius and it will go all the way around. The 955 tries to climb the steps but gets confused and reverse's back down and some times will flip over, but turns itself upright again. I have wedding cake shaped steps and it cannot navigate them. If it makes it to the top step shelf where there is only a few inches of water, it will lose pump suction, cavitate and automatically shut off. So I cannot use the waterline cleaning cycle if going out of town. I normally would only brush the waterline tiles by hand once a week, so I will run the waterline cycle when I'm home and can watch it. Overall, I am very pleased with the job it does, and how easy it is to clean out. I havent used the remote control yet but will post a later update.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your opinion/review on the Polaris 9550! :cool:

Tagging in here for others as well:

I just picked up this same cleaner 3 weeks ago. My first robotic cleaner. Seems to miss a few spots on the bottom herer and there. Not sure if it will better learn the pool or not. Or i need to run different programs. I have tried the free form and the rectangle and still missed areas. 18x38 grecian, with deep end, and walk in step. cannot get the steps, need to push the stuff on the step to the bottom.

Pros:
-Love the top mount filter screen. Plus it rinses clean in like 15 sec! Pops out in 5 secs and back in in 5 seconds!!
-the auto lift sytem for getting cleaner out of the pool.
-the remote control for missed spots.
-caddy design and size is great

Cons:
-non swivel cord. But discovered if you only put the amount of cord in the pool needed and no extra really doesn't get to tangled up!
-hear lots of horrors of wheel issues....time will tell with the newer model
-seems to go to fast and often pushes sand out of way before sucking it up.
-the rear jet seems to stir up bottom a bit as well rather than leaving it to suck it up later

I have and still am contemplating swapping for the Dolphin/Maytronic's Dx5+. seems reliable long term and has swivel cord, goes slower so as not to stir stuff up so much. But not sure if worth the swap and loss of nice simple top load and clean basket compared to the big diaper style bag to rinse with Dx5+.....

After ordering a Polaris 9550 from PSW, I received a Polaris 955 (white colored version) within 4 days. It was delivered in the factory sealed box, with some damage from UPS. The contents were fine, Polaris does a good job in packaging. The instructions are very clear and the assembly of caddy was easy. The robot comes assembled with the cord attached, and plugs into the control box mounted on the caddy. I was impressed by the build quality, fit, and strength of the parts. The top loading basket is large and very easy to clean. It has a bottom only cycle, bottom and side wall, and a waterline only cycle. The cycle times can be increased or decreased in 30 minute increments. There is also a 7 day programmable timer,and different cycles can be set for each day. Very handy for going out of town. I ran it through the different cycles, and it completely cleaned my pool in 1bottom and side cycle. After several thunderstorms had moved through, there was a lot of debree.I put it on bottom only cycle and it cleaned the entire bottom, without having to clean out the basket. It also does very well cleaning the waterline tiles, in a 45 minute cycle. My pool has one very small radius cove, and it does have difficulty getting around that in the waterline cycle. So I start the cycle just past the radius and it will go all the way around. The 955 tries to climb the steps but gets confused and reverse's back down and some times will flip over, but turns itself upright again. I have wedding cake shaped steps and it cannot navigate them. If it makes it to the top step shelf where there is only a few inches of water, it will lose pump suction, cavitate and automatically shut off. So I cannot use the waterline cleaning cycle if going out of town. I normally would only brush the waterline tiles by hand once a week, so I will run the waterline cycle when I'm home and can watch it. Overall, I am very pleased with the job it does, and how easy it is to clean out. I havent used the remote control yet but will post a later update.
5/23/14 Update I have found starting the robot at the center line of pool, and only rolling off enough cable to reach both ends keeps the cable from getting twisted. While going through a cleaning cycle, the robot makes a equal amount of clockwise and counterclockwise turns. So the cable is not twisted at end of cycle. The cleaner is 4 wheel drive, and turns on a dime, so using the remote is very efficient for spot cleaning. The wheel problems seem to have been corrected with the 9550, they feel very sturdy. I like how the vacuum pick up slot runs full length across, just behind the rotating brush. I haven't seen it miss any leaves or small debris it runs over. There is a 1/4 inch slot in the center of the brush where it may leave a silt trail on the pool bottom. The cleaner will pick up any trails in the next pass, so it isn't anything to be concerned about. The 9550 or 955 has a 2 year warranty whether bought online or from your local dealer. I have had the cleaner climb the steps without problems, since running more cycles. It can climb the steps, but its just to wide to effectively clean them. The cleaner also travels over both the main drains without any hang ups.
Overall, I'm very happy with the 955, and recommend it.

Part of my job at a pool store is to fix Polaris robotics. Polaris 9300, P93, P94, and P935, P945, and P55 all suffer from a fatal flaw where the fan drags against the fan housing and kills the part of the motor that drives the fan. The wheels are driven independently. This happens due to the plastic swelling or the screws in the bottom not having the right tension setting. Yes, that's right, the screws in the bottom loosening up can pull the fan down and kill it.

Part of my job at a pool store is to fix Polaris robotics. Polaris 9300, P93, P94, and P935, P945, and P55 all suffer from a fatal flaw where the fan drags against the fan housing and kills the part of the motor that drives the fan. The wheels are driven independently. This happens due to the plastic swelling or the screws in the bottom not having the right tension setting. Yes, that's right, the screws in the bottom loosening up can pull the fan down and kill it.
My p9550 the problem is the water will leak in side the motor housing, I need to replace the board , and the left side motor with the gear box, if you have any of this parts can you please let me know? [email protected]

What I learn from my p9550 robot is the main motor the runs the small propeller, will get loose and water will leak into the motor housing, It cost $ 860 to replace the motor, I didi opend the motor housing, bingo lost of water, I notice the entrance of the water from the main shaff , I need to replace the circuit board and the left side motor with the gear box. If any one knows whare I can get this parts please let me know. David [email protected]:deal:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for the review.... I'm researching robotic cleaners and 1 concern I have with the Polaris is that it moves to fast and stirs up the dirt on the bottom too much. Has anyone experienced the same? and is it any different on the Dolphin models (edge, Oaisis etc)?

Thx.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.