polaris 3900 sport backup valve

jlim0930hh

Jan 5, 2020
Dallas,tx
I had my pool installed about a year ago. At first the polaris was working fine and would never get stuck. recently I noticed that the polaris is keep getting stuck on a corner. Tried to adjust the position of the out flow at the back of the polaris but it either gets stuck when its on the left side or when its on the right side knots up the lines.

I noticed that even when the backup valve is going that the water is still coming out of the jet at the back of the polaris.. is this normal? when the backup valve is going does it shutdown the water to the polaris?

Welcome to TFP.

I don't think the backup valve suts off all water to the Polaris. But my pool is closed for the winter to confirm that.

What size is your pool?

The backup valve is in the hose and backup valve yanks the Polaris back and turns it around to reposition. It does it every few minutes to get the cleaner out of a corner it may be stuck in and add to its random journey around the pool. Water should not be contentiously jetting out of the backup valve. If it is the valve is broken.

The valve should go into backup about every 2 1/2 min to 3 minutes. If it is longer than that, the gears may be worn. Zodiac also has a “double acting” backup valve. It runs twice as fast and backs up the cleaner more frequently, about every 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds.

The G52 is said to backup every 2 1/2 minutes. The G59 backups approximately every 1 minute 45 seconds.

The “double acting” backup valve is used in smaller pools where the cleaner gets stuck in a corner more frequently.

The backup valve can be disassembled and the valve body unscrewed although it may be difficult to get an old one apart. How do I get the collar off a Polaris 360/ 380 back up valve discussed different techniques to open the valve.

Zodiac G52 is usually the standard replacement backup valve. Pentair has the E10 backup valve that is bit more expensive then the Zodiac and some people have said works better and lasts longer on Polaris cleaners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.