Polaris 380 Pool Vac - Great movement but no suction?

Stikkman

Jun 26, 2019
California
So registered w TFP hoping to get some advice related to my Polaris 380 Pool Vac. I just replaced the feeder pipe as the stem that holds the float finally broke off due to weathering and the float itself was cracked and taking on water. So replaced the feeder pipe and float per instructions I found on a YouTube vid - seemed very straight forward - and put her back in action. She has plenty of pressure from recently replaced booster pump - moves, climbs, wags her tail moves speedily through the pool but no suction (?!). Have dis-assembled re-assembled the vac a couple of times w the same result. Belts are fine, feed tubes are in place and tied securely w wraps, jets are clear and spray upward w adequate force so not sure what else to try? Have also cleaned the the line filter, checked hose coupler connections - all good. Someone mentioned pressure or water leaks might be the culprit but not sure how to diagnose those exactly - on the unit itself, booster pump or hoses? Unit was working great until I replaced the feeder pipe so wondering if perhaps there's a step I missed in the install. Seemed to be a pipe that fits into a hole in the base of the unit w a little black washer which seems to be creating a good enough seal - all held together by a few screws to keep the assembly in place. Then again the tube does receive the in-line water feed but results in little or no suction and my filter bag no longer puffs up like it used to when the unit skirts around the pool. If I lift the unit out of the water I see sprays of water shooting up into the bag but recall it being a thicker stream previous to the feed pipe repair - suggestions? Thanks again!

Scott

Last edited:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Welcome to TFP.

Examine carefully part #28 the “Water Management System”. Check that the hoses are on tight and not kinked or have any dirt in them.

You might just want to have a replacement to install. They cost around $47.

Stikkman

Jun 26, 2019
California
Dis-assembled the unit again yesterday and checked for loose hoses, trapped debris that might be impeding the water flow to the upfacing suction jets. Unit does pick up fine sediment but larger debris like leaves, dirt, fine pebbles - forgetta bout it. It did prior to installing new feed pipe and I rechecked its assembly, making sure the black washer is present and creating a water tight seal... Played w the tail pressure screw and found reducing tail movement does seem to increase suction a tiny bit but still at a loss as to how to increase/restore the normal suction pressure on my Polaris 380... ;-(