Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi there, I'm dealing with an issue where my 280 is only making right turns and getting the hose all pretzeled up. I'm trying things in stages, starting with the easiest and I noticed the front tire wasn't engaging with the small middle wheel and that the tire was really worn down, so I swapped it out with the back tire since it was in much better shape. Now, it just makes right turns but with a lot more confidence. :) The other thing I noticed is that the back wheel is very wobbly and I couldn't tighten the screws on the axel mount, so I've just ordered a whole new axel mount.
The thing I'm unclear about is how it's supposed to work... are both the front and back wheels supposed to be touching the middle wheel? Because the back one isn't anywhere close, which I can probably fix when I remount it and put a new tire on it (I also ordered one of those). But I just want to make sure that the expected behavior is that both the front and back wheels are touching the small wheel, because I've seen both referenced as touching it in my research but not both at the same time, if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Heather

Hi there, I'm dealing with an issue where my 280 is only making right turns and getting the hose all pretzeled up. I'm trying things in stages, starting with the easiest and I noticed the front tire wasn't engaging with the small middle wheel and that the tire was really worn down, so I swapped it out with the back tire since it was in much better shape. Now, it just makes right turns but with a lot more confidence. :) The other thing I noticed is that the back wheel is very wobbly and I couldn't tighten the screws on the axel mount, so I've just ordered a whole new axel mount.
The thing I'm unclear about is how it's supposed to work... are both the front and back wheels supposed to be touching the middle wheel? Because the back one isn't anywhere close, which I can probably fix when I remount it and put a new tire on it (I also ordered one of those). But I just want to make sure that the expected behavior is that both the front and back wheels are touching the small wheel, because I've seen both referenced as touching it in my research but not both at the same time, if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Heather
You likely need at least two new wheels as well as all new tires. The drive axle has probably worn the inner teeth out on at least a large portion of them on the front and single-side wheel. Check the drive axle as well, the plastic will wear it out, the end will be tapered.
Teeth on the front wheel and single-side wheel should engage only half way onto the drive axle, any tighter and it won't move. There are two screws on the axle mount that allow the axle to move forward and back. Remove the hose, remove the float, remove the cover to gain access. Once that is set, push the single small wheel down, all the way, move the rear wheel forward until it touches the small wheel, tighten the screw. You should be good. It should touch both as the front wheel drives the rear through it.
You need to replace all the wheel bearings (6) if one is very wobbly as the rest will go soon. If you look at the back wheel, you will see the teeth on the inside are not worn like the other two. Swapping it with one of the others will save having to get one new one, it doesn't need those teeth. The front and single wheel need to have good teeth on the inner circumference for the machine to work properly.
I have been using CMP replacement parts, wheels, bearings, swivels, bags, etc. for my 280 since they came out. Seem to last as long and cost less than Polaris brand.

Thanks,
Heather
Excellent alternative for rebuild.

Thanks for the help! I did do a bit of a tuneup probably 3 years ago, so not everything is shot on the ol’ fella but this go around, I did replace the bearings on all wheels, put new tires on and swapped front for back so the teeth are good. Great tip there. Also I discovered that the axel was mounted backwards? Like even with the Mount slid allll the way up it was nowhere close to the small wheel. Realized I could just flip it over and Bob’s your uncle. Everybody is touching the small wheel. I’m betting ol’ Clyde is gonna work like a champ now. Thanks all the advice!!

Reactions: HermanTX
Note that there are multiple "tune-up" kits for these cleaners. Technically there is a smaller "tuneup kit" and a larger "rebuild kit" but vendors are sloppy with their terminology. Get the larger kit that Poolman suggested or the authentic kit from Polaris:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.