Polaris 280 pressure relief valve

Dec 15, 2009
Hello, hoping someone here may be able to point me in the right direction. I have a Polaris 280 that stopped moving a couple weeks ago, but after some tinkering I got it to move again. Problem now is it moves very slowly and the water pressure is very low that come out of it, in fact so low that the tail doesnt move back and forth at all, it just drags behind it. The filter is free of debris. I finally noticed the other day that water is coming out of the pressure relief valve at a pretty high rate. Any suggestion what to do from here? Does the pressure relief valve need to be replaced or is there something else that needs attention that is forcing the relieve valve to act in such a manner? Appreciate any help!

ok thanks. I will replace, just wondering if there is something else I should check as well that could cause the relief valve to do this. Oh well, 9 bucks and I will have my answer I suppose

FWIW, I deleted that pressure relief valve by removing the screw-in part with a 1" plastic plug that I purchased at my local hardware store. It really made no difference in enhancement of the movement of my Polaris 380.

What really made the differnece for me was disassembling the unit so that I could access the little port that supplies water pressure to the water wheel. I probed/cleaned that port with a very small (really, really small) screw driver, and my propulsion probelms were solved. A small wire might suffice in lieu of my screw driver, but the result should be the same.

My Polaris 380 is now screaming around the pool, and I am, for now, a happy camper.

Caruso

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.