Polaris 280 Issues/Advice

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
Been getting my Polaris tuned up for the pool season. It came with the house I bought last summer and I am unsure of the age. It's at least a few years old. I'm sure it's just me, but it feels like this thing constantly needs tuning and repair for it to work ideally.

I was having issues where the wheels weren't turning (one side was, but it wasn't turning the others, even after rotating). I ordered new wheels and new drive shaft and bearings. The new wheels got to me first and I put those on and it was really working great. I should've just left it at that. When the new drive shaft and bearings arrived, I decided to go ahead and put those on too. Well, now the dang thing is moving slow again. I watched a couple youtubes on how to install the driveshaft and I don't see how I could've done it wrong.

Tonight, I'm going to put the old one back on see what happens, but does anybody know what could cause this? Is there a special step I may have missed?

Are you sure the screen filter is clear and not blocked with any debris?

Yes. Now I guess it's possible I didn't put something back on exactly right and maybe it's not getting the needed flow.

I will say that when I put the driveshaft in and attempted to spin in before putting everything back together, it didn't just spin as freely as I would've expected (or like it did on the youtube I watched).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah so you're on to something. When I leave the screws loose on the bearings it spins fine. When I tighten them down to where I think they need to be, it slows the spin. Put the old bearings in and they don't do that. Weird.

One problem I had when I rebuilt mine was I had the tail flow "screw" set to too much flow out the tail. It's the large allen head bolt near the float.

Because so much pressure was going out the tail, not enough was flowing into the gears to make it move with enough force.

I believe the factory setting is to screw it all the way in, then back out 1.5 turns. Once I set it to this, the wheels turned much quicker.

I'm surprised this part of setting it up is not discussed more often, just about every rebuild instruction barely mentions it.

Couple things still don't seem just right. The front wheel seems continually "pop a wheelie". I keep adjusting the back jet thing but I can't find a sweet spot.

Also the backup jet seems to come on an awful lot and runs longer than it needs. The hose ends up wrapping up in itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.