Polaris 280 Hose Tangling

casey2020

Aug 28, 2020
Austin, TX
Hi all - I inherited a Polaris 280 cleaner when I purchased my new home that appears to have some significant age to it. The hose tangles and traps the vacuum at the same spot against the connection to the wall. I suspect the swivel connector needs replacing (there is a small leak and it’s stiff), but the hose itself is also very stiff so the whole hose and swivel probably need replacing. I also checked the wheel RPMs which are 20 (too low, and Indicates to me a water follow issue somewhere) so I removed the blue restrictor that’s in the universal wall fitting which helped the flow and speed of the robot, but did not stop the tangling. The robot tangles in exactly the same path and same way every time - when the backup jet is propelling the robot, it wraps up the hose immediately and locks up the vacuum against the wall. The booster pump that runs this vacuum also has a very loud grating sound and a small leak - a malfunction there could explain my low RPMs and reduced water flow. So my question is this - what’s the best efficient and cost effective way forward - should I start replacing items one by one and seeing if I get a decent solve - or call out a repair company for the booster pump first and consider a complete repair kit for the Polaris? A whole new Polaris? Trying to balance time and saving money. Thanks for your thoughts!

If you need to replace your booster pump and repair the Polaris cleaner consider getting a Dolphin robot pool cleaner. People here get good deals from Margret at Marina Pool and Spa in Colorado.

If you are handy you can get the rebuild kit for the 280 and probably get it working like new. But if you need to pay someone lese to do it and replace your pump a robot cleaner will likely be more cost effective.

All of us Polaris pressure-side sweep owners find ourselves throwing parts at them. Enough parts and I eventually capitulate and just buy a new unit and start the whole cycle again.

In your case, you might get away with replacing the tail. You can buy the whole tail with new swivels and wear rings (but not the backup valve) for $25 or so. Amazon.com: polaris Sweep Hose Complete for 180 280 380 B-5 B5: Sports & Outdoors

Watch out for the "rebuild kits". They may or may not contain the parts you need. Better to first determine what you need and buy those parts separately if the rebuild kit doesn't meet your requirements.

I think @casey2020 described a stiff feed hose that tangles, not the tail hose.

The feed hose runs more like $100+ Amazon.com: Zodiac G5 Complete Feed Hose with UWF Replacement: Garden & Outdoor or he can buy individual sections of hose to replace.

Zodiac sells a Tune-up kit that only replaces a few parts or a rebuild kit that replaces all the internal moving parts. The rebuild kit is about 1/3 the cost of a new unit - Amazon.com: Zodiac A48 Factory Rebuild Replacement Kit: Garden & Outdoor

Here is a list of what is included:

One All-Purpose Filter Bag - K16
One Top - K5
One Float, Head - A20
One Sweep Hose Complete - B5
One Sweep Hose Attach Clamp - B15
Two Axle, Large (w/Sand/Gravel Grd) - C66
Eight Ball Bearings, Wheels - C60
Four Wheel Screw, Plastic - C55
Four Wheel Washer, Plastic - C64
Three Tire, MaxTrax - C10
Three Wheel, Large (No Bearings Included) - C6
One Axle, Large (Rear Wheel Only) - C65
One Thrust Jet Kit - C131
One Idler Wheel, Small - C16
One Swing Axle Kit - C36
One Base with Bracket - K10
Two Ball Bearings, Turbine - C80
One Turbine Shaft Tubes - C83
One Drive Shaft Assembly - C86
Water Management System - K25

But once you need a new feeder hose, rebuild kit, and pump then a robot cleaner can be more cost effective.

Couple of options that I can provide.
The water is colder now (see you are in Austin) and those can contribute to hose tangling. However the main issue with hose tangling is proper length and float spacing. I struggled for a while on similar issue and then found several youtube videos to get the hose length correct and my tangling also minimized. I have a spreadsheet I did to calculate hose length per the videos (and Polaris manual) and be happy to send that to you if you can decipher Excel spreadsheets.

You mention this came with house you recently purchased. Did you get a home warranty from the seller and did it include the pool equipment? It is normally valid for 1 year and some people extend that warranty. If so, then call them to get that implemented. You may get a new pool cleaner or a new pump.

I recently did a complete rebuild on my 280 which you can find on this link.
Hope this helps.

A robot is certainly a solid alternative. Here's another. I had a 280 and hated it and wanted to get rid of it. I went another way. I had my pool guy replumb the pressure port to a suction port, eliminating the booster pump altogether, and now run a Pentair Rebel. I didn't notice any difference in cleaning ability, though I don't have a particularly dirty pool. It solves for all the things I didn't like about the 280, and all the things I know I wouldn't like about a robot. Considerably cheaper, too, especially if you can do your own plumbing. Three years running (maybe four) and no repairs needed. Oh, and no stupid tail!

A robot is certainly a solid alternative. Here's another. I had a 280 and hated it and wanted to get rid of it. I went another way. I had my pool guy replumb the pressure port to a suction port, eliminating the booster pump altogether, and now run a Pentair Rebel. I didn't notice any difference in cleaning ability, though I don't have a particularly dirty pool. It solves for all the things I didn't like about the 280, and all the things I know I wouldn't like about a robot. Considerably cheaper, too, especially if you can do your own plumbing. Three years running (maybe four) and no repairs needed. Oh, and no stupid tail!
Thanks for this option - will take a look at the Pentair Rebel.

Couple of options that I can provide.
The water is colder now (see you are in Austin) and those can contribute to hose tangling. However the main issue with hose tangling is proper length and float spacing. I struggled for a while on similar issue and then found several youtube videos to get the hose length correct and my tangling also minimized. I have a spreadsheet I did to calculate hose length per the videos (and Polaris manual) and be happy to send that to you if you can decipher Excel spreadsheets.

You mention this came with house you recently purchased. Did you get a home warranty from the seller and did it include the pool equipment? It is normally valid for 1 year and some people extend that warranty. If so, then call them to get that implemented. You may get a new pool cleaner or a new pump.

I recently did a complete rebuild on my 280 which you can find on this link.
Hope this helps.
Hi HermanTX - thanks for this info. I would love to take a look at the Excel, I’m pretty good with those files.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.