Polaris 280 getting stuck in corner

Ganeri

Mar 29, 2020
California
I a new pool owner (just bought house with a pool). It came with a Polaris 280 cleaner. Looking at the cleaner it Is neither new nor too old. How should I go about debugging as to what is the problem. Trying to see if I can repair or need to buy a new one

Welcome to TFP.

Is the backup valve on the hose functioning? The backup valve cycles the cleaner backwards to reposition it when it gets stuck in a corner.

Thanks folks for replying immediately! So the backup valve is working kind of. So I did saw the cleaner backing out of the corner. Two problems - (1) It backs off in a straight line and after going 5m it starts going again and get again stuck as it is going in straight line forward again, and (2) The whole thing takes 10+ minutes. So am I missing some configuration change because although some action seems to be happening, it seems to be extremely slow and kind of in a never ending loop. I also own a roomba vaccum cleaner for some time now -- and compared to this it seems to able to figure its way around by just trying out different angles.

I think while it looks like your backup valve is working it is not forceful enough. My backup valve yanks the Polaris back and turns it around.

It is dumb 1970's technology and can't be compared to a Roomba.

You should be able to adjust the rear jet that steers the 280. It sounds like it's pointing exactly backward. You should be able to re-aim it just enough that the 280 travels in an arc and not a straight line. Choose the direction that will move it away from the steps after the backup valve pulls it back.

"after going 5m it starts going again and get again stuck" - is 5m 5 minutes or 5 meters?

Last edited:
So I believe I had the ah-ha moment here, which might be reflective of me being just a new pool owner.

So my cleaner runs periodically every day for a 2 hr window. My observation was that at the start of the new day the cleaner just won't buzz. If I take the cleaner out I would see a lot of water coming back out of the valve and than when I put back the cleaner it will work properly.

So I believe the back valve is getting blocked when the cleaner is inside the pool 24 hrs. I believe the action item is for me to take the cleaner out of the pool every day after it has done its job.

Sounds dubious. Most Polaris owners leave 'em in virtually all the time. I do. If removing yours from the pool improves its performance, something is broken.

My Polaris 380 lives in my pool 24/7 except for when someone is swimming.

If removing yoru Polair daily works for you that is great. I still think there is something wrong with your backup valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.