Poison ivy? Is there a botanist in the house?

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#1
Went out to pull the ivy that was slowly strangling one of ours trees. Chopped and pulled out a 6 foot section and then looked at the leaves. I didn't think poison ivy could grow so big, but a little research and I found the dreaded climbing poison ivy. 20 to 30 feet, killing trees in the process.

Any way, in trying to figure out what it is, it seems impossible to identify it to me. Guess my brain doesn't work like that. "it may or may not have notches, it may or may not have ridges, it may or may not be glossy" seriously? Grrrr...

Luckily, I do believe I'm one of the 15% of Americans that is not allergic to urushiol. That involves a story in sixth grade of a ranger pointing out poison ivy and a few of us who wanted some time off of school. I did not miss one day, everyone else did...

Any way, here's the tree it's killing, and a closeup. Let me know if you need to see it from another angle or something.






Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

Samantha_in_AL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2010
242
Altoona, AL
#2
It sure looks like poison ivy to me. We have tons of it here in the south. I broke out from it once after inhaling the smoke from it when we burned a brush pile with some in it.
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#3
Ooh no! Was it bad? I've heard really bad stories about people inhaling poison ivy smoke! Months to recover!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#4
If there is a botanist out there, and you'd like to come over and look at it, just go down that road to the house that may or may not be white, may or may not be a colonial, and may or may not have a really long driveway. The plant may or may not be in the backyard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#6
One hairy vine, coming up!




When I pulled that section out, it went across my arms and face. I don't believe I'll react to it, but I still have the heebyjeebies
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
1,924
North Georgia
#7
You did wash with soap and water, including everything you were wearing and using, correct? You got like 30 mins to get the oil off your skin. The oil will stay on cloths shoes tools for some while....
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#8
I did wash up with soap and water with a ten percent chlorine rinse. :shock:

Still have the same clothes on though. Should probably throw those in the wash, huh? It's been about two hours now, no sign of anything other than the heebyjeebies, and I get that if I find a tick on me. Only lasts about five hours though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

Samantha Sabrina

Well-known member
Apr 11, 2012
346
Bloomsdale, Mo
#9
Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac, all share one thing, you can identify it by the leaves.

Golden rule: "Leaves of 3 leave it be".

If the vine has groups of 3 leaves then it is one of the 3 Ivys that cause an itchy rash in most people. If the vine has evenly spaced leaves all over and not grouped into 3 at a time then it is not an Ivy.

Her is a link that will help you see if it ia an Ivy: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view

Hope this helps

P.S. You should not wash poison ivy, oak, or sumac with soap and water, the stuff soap is made of will basically coat the ivy oil and make it worse, instead rinse well with warm water several times before using soap, DO NOT RUB while rinsing, that just spreads the oil, and works it deeper into your skin.
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#10
Thanks! I was all over that site this morning. I'd say it is definitely poison ivy, or not. Either way, I seriously don't think I'm allergic to it.

But of course, I was topping up the pool, and forgot about it. So now it's overflowing and I'm dealing with that. Lol

I am getting a really good backwash out of the deal though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#11
Ok, got the water level down to, "not overflowing" Back to getting that ivy out. Gotta find some gloves.

Been about four hours now. How long does that stuff take to react on your skin?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 
May 28, 2012
21
NE Ohio
#12
Kias, it's true that some folks just aren't allergic to it. I'm one of them. I've had friends break out in terrible rashes, but I myself have never been afflicted. Thank goodness! I don't know what prevents some of us from being bothered, but I'm pretty happy about it!
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#13
Yeah, I do believe I'm also one of them. I just yanked out this, then found baby birds up in a nest in the ivy. So I let them be. The stuff up there should die off since it's no longer connected to the ground. But I still have to figure out how to get it out of the ground. It's growing right in the middle of a clump of trees. It's killed two trees already. Looks like it just literally squeezed them to death.



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
8,649
Twin Cities, MN
#14
I used to be non-reacting to PI, I could rub the stuff on my skin not problem...fast forward ~10 years and I got a good dose of rash from it. My (non-expert) understanding is that people sensitivity to PI can change, so it is not ever a good idea to assume you are not allergic year to year.
 

Suziqzer

TFP Expert
Sep 21, 2009
914
Greentown, IN
#15
Hubby and I are cleaning out a backyard jungle of a home we bought that had been vacant for 6 years. There were vines growing up and between the privacy fencing and we've spent several days clearing the yard. I did notice a small poison ivy plant up by the house, but didn't think the vines we were removing from the fence were poison ivy. The first day we worked on removing the vines and mulberry trees growing up through the fence, neither of us had any reactions and DH is very allergic. About a week later we went back to work on it and both of us came away with rashes several days later... mine later and much less of it than him.

I've never had poison ivy before. I helped my mom remove some from a hedge when I was a teenager and we worked at it for a good hour or two and I never got it. She made me bag up all of the debris because she always got it terribly, but I never reacted from it. My brother's the same way... sat it in a patch of it unknowingly in a summer camp and never broke out.

So I'm not sure if we got into poison ivy or something else. I will have to take a closer look at the vines the next time we work there and see if there was some hiding among the vines we were removing... or maybe the vines we removed were poison ivy, but much larger than I've ever seen in this area... and I believe there were five leaves on the vines we were removing.

I would be careful .... even if you think you're not allergic... you might find yourself getting it, you might just not react as severely unless you get a larger quantity of the oil on your skin. And although my rash was nothing compared to my Hubby's.. it's wasn't fun!
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#16
Just read the rash can take from four hours to ten days to show up after exposure. That's not good. Lol! I might just be in the hospital next week. Ack!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
 

Suziqzer

TFP Expert
Sep 21, 2009
914
Greentown, IN
#17
If you've never gotten it and have come in contact with it several times before, I would guess you won't get it... but if you do, like me, it will hopefully be a milder case than of someone who's had it before. Hopefully!
 

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
6,711
SW Louisiana
#18
This is starting to sound like that episode of myth busters where every member of the cast of the show turned out to not react to poison ivy, I think they ended up getting a member of the crew (camera man) to do the test.
 

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
662
NW Ohio
#20
This day is turning out awesome! Find out I might die from poison ivy, I over filled my pool, my ta shot up to 130, I've put 9 cups of chlorine in the pool today to keep it at 7ppm, usually 2.5 cups a day, I only have two cups of acid in the house, and a pin leak just appeared in my brand new back wash hose!! Aggghhhh!

But my cya is finally down to 40, from the 60 I started this year with! Silver lining?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus