plumbing under gunite shell

awpoll

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
McDonough, Ga.
We are on the verge of beginning our pool dig. My PB is finishing up a pool nearby and we are next on his list. One thing he said about the plumbing is that he wants to run all lines centrally down the center of the pool and then turn towards the equipment pad. I am concerned that if ever there is a shift in my shell that pipes could get damaged and leak. I would like to hear your thoughts on here.

There is gonna be lines under the pool regardless as far as main drain and things . our lines besides drains and infloor cleaning run along the side but theyre still under the decking so I dont think it would be an issue... Its your pool in the end so tell them how YOU want it ran. Sounds like the easiest route rather than the best for the future, if a line does break its dig the pool or dig the deck $$$

I would much rather have all PVC lines run around the perimeter of the shell, which is what most PBs do, and the minimal run under the shell to reach any outlets in the floor of the pool. This lets any repairs be done much easier over the life of the pool. PVC is cheap, and trenching for the lines and backfilling is not a big job while he has equipment on the site. I would keep a close eye on what else the PB plans to do if he is cheaping out on the PVC runs.

Reactions: setsailsoon
There is gonna be lines under the pool regardless as far as main drain and things . our lines besides drains and infloor cleaning run along the side but theyre still under the decking so I dont think it would be an issue... Its your pool in the end so tell them how YOU want it ran. Sounds like the easiest route rather than the best for the future, if a line does break its dig the pool or dig the deck $$$
Thanks for the reply. Other than the pool MD I will be asking my PB to run everything on the perimeter. At least if there is any future plumbing problems maybe I'll only have to deal with the deck.

I would much rather have all PVC lines run around the perimeter of the shell, which is what most PBs do, and the minimal run under the shell to reach any outlets in the floor of the pool. This lets any repairs be done much easier over the life of the pool. PVC is cheap, and trenching for the lines and backfilling is not a big job while he has equipment on the site. I would keep a close eye on what else the PB plans to do if he is cheaping out on the PVC runs.
Thanks for the reply. I felt like all plumbing ( where possible ) should be ran around the perimeter.

If you have room, it is worth adding additional plumbing either in the pool wall or at the pool-equipment for water supply to the pool in summer, remove excess water from the pool, all controlled by remote controlled valves (with timers on them so that the pool is not overfilled or drained too much).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.