Plumbing question about swimout with spa jet

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I am installing a swimout with 6 spa jets along with steps that will have 2 spa jets. Now I want these to obiously have the best performance they can when I want them to. I do not want them to be active everytime the pump is on. Can I put a 3 way valve coming out of the filter and T off a spa jet run and a normal return run so I can control what type of return is on? Would I gain performace by seperating them and running in a loop seperatly or will I get the same performance if I put them all in the same loop?

Of course you can add a 3-way valve ... or you could put a 2-way valve on each run back to the pool.

I do not fully understand your second questions. Are you talking about putting the swimout (6 jets) and steps (2 jets) on separate runs in addition to your normal wall returns? That is certainly fine, you may want to use a larger return pipe for the 6 jets to help with head loss, but you may be limited with the amount of water you can move based on your available suction line.

One other thing. Your said I may be limited based on the amount of suction i get. I am planing on using 2 aqua genies and no main drains. Would that be a bad idea as far as the suction side goes or would 2 main drains and one skimmer be better?

I think you would likely get better flow out of the 6 jets if you could turn off the 2 on the steps. If it is just a matter of a little more PVC pipe and 1 more valve, I would certainly split them up to have greater control.

You could either have three 2-way valves ... one on each
Or put two 3-way valves ... first selects normal returns vs jets and the second selects between swimout vs. steps

Either way your could balance the flow better.

kyle11 said:
One other thing. Your said I may be limited based on the amount of suction i get. I am planing on using 2 aqua genies and no main drains. Would that be a bad idea as far as the suction side goes or would 2 main drains and one skimmer be better?

Which ever way your go ... plumb the 2 lines (floor & skimmer OR skimmer & skimmer) back to the pad separately with valves at the pad to adjust where the suction comes from.

You are also better off having the suction pipes larger than the return pipes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.