Plumbing Location Query?

Sid/

Bronze Supporter
Mar 20, 2018
Sachse, Texas
If the plumbing (pump, filter canister, valves, etc) of your pool is below the waterline of your pool or above the water line of your pool; Is there a difference of how a pool builder would plumb in the pipes/valves/pump in considering the level of your equipment to the waterline level of the pool??? If so what are the differences of the plumbing?

Last edited:
Sid,

If the equipment pad is below the waterline of the pool, then the pool builder needs to install manual valves that can be shut off when you want to do things like remove the pump lid or clean your filter.. This prevents the water in the pool flooding the equipment pad.

If the equipment pad is way above the waterline, than adding check valves on the suction side plumbing makes sense to prevent the pump from draining back into the pool.

Most pools have their equipment pad just a little above the waterline and need no special plumbing..

Why do you ask?????

Thanks,

Jim R.

I ask this because my son-in-law and daughter just purchase a home with pool. He has a little of plumbing experience. This is an older pool and older pump and older all over. (probably early 2000's) The 3 valves on it are all shot/leak/suction side air. He wants to raise the equipment and replace the 3 valves and extend the equipment a liitle higher. Presently the valves cannot be placed in a position to shut off any flow from the skimmers and main drains. Note: one valve for skimmers and main drains. It's either sucking from main drain or sucking from skimmers or both and no position to set it completely off to like service the pump filter. Hope this makes sense. I'm kind of a rookie at this stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.