Plumbing in a new Heater Bypass

MMTech24

Aug 20, 2019
Detroit Michigan
Hello all - I am about to replumb my pad from 1.5 to 2”. I’m planning on using a 2” 3way diverter valve for the external heater bypass. Is it required to have a check valve on the heater exit? I understand it’s required if I have a SWG which I do not.
Thank you!

Hello all - I am about to replumb my pad from 1.5 to 2”. I’m planning on using a 2” 3way diverter valve for the external heater bypass. Is it required to have a check valve on the heater exit?

Without a CV on the output side your heater bypass will not work if your heater springs a leak. Your heater will get water in from the output pipe.

I understand it’s required if I have a SWG which I do not.

A CV is not required on the heater output for a SWG.

A CV is required on the heater output for a tablet chlorinator because it contains acid.

Not to be argumentative, but there are some brands of SWG (CMP for example) that require a check valve after the heater and before the SWG system (just installed one in November, 2020). From my experience with replacing heaters, a tablet feeder should NEVER be used with a Mastertemp (or Max-E-Therm) heater, even with a check valve. I've seen them damage even the taller brands. Even the so-called "chemical resistant" check valves will allow the very caustic solution to return to the heater and destroy it when the pump is off. Last year I installed a Mastertemp for another company. The pool owner wanted me to install his tab feeder at the time. I refused. He had someone else do it. Six months later the heater was completely destroyed, water was flowing out of the corroded heat exchanger and back through the internal blower. I have a video as I have never seen such damage, especially in so short a time. True, they didn't install a check valve, but one would have only delayed the issue, not eliminated it.

There is no real reason to install a bypass on a modern heater, especially with the system you have, if your water flow is adjusted properly and you are not running your VSP at full speed.

Understood on the tablet feeder. Thanks for info. Previous owner had tab feeder plumbed in after heater without any check valve. I have eliminated the tab feeder now.

I’m still thinking to install the bypass for efficiency gains. I have read other posts showing significant head pressure gain from mastertemp heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.