Plumbing for bubblers and jets

aussie75

Oct 7, 2020
RDU/NC
The plumbing for our pool just got done on Saturday. I wanted all 2" piping and I found out that they ran 1.5" for the 4 jets and most of the way for the bubbles. The project manager called me after I texted them to let them know and he said this is what they do and the smaller pipe increases pressure. Which is totally wrong. I have done a lot of research and switching to 1.5" increases only velocity and reduces both pressure and flow.
There are two extra drains in floor connect together with 2 inch pipe and then to a single 2 inch pipe to the pump for the features. From the return it goes to a valve where one side goes to the bubblers and the other side splits to 4 individual runs to each jet. All of this is 2 inch pipe till it hits the ground, where at the elbow, it's reduced to 1.5". At each jet its further reduced to 3/4 inch.
The bubblers are reduced to 3/4 inch at the pool, though below that, they are connected together by 2" and then outside of the gunite there is a 2" elbow and it's reduced to 1.5" back to the bottom of the pump the elbow is 2 inch and 2 inch up to the pump.
They are meant to be putting valves on the 5 returns to control the features.

My reasoning for going to 2" is that I will be able to run my pump at a lower speed and save money in the long run. By them using 1.5 inch pipe, the only thing it has done, is to increased head pressure more than what all 2" would do and I lose even more pressure and flow where it goes to 3/4 inch. I am already losing pressure and flow at the ends where the features are, as well as at the valves. Why would I want to lose any more by going to 1.5" with 90s and 45s? Each bubbler is 10-15 gpm x 2 and 2-4 gpm x4 for the jets, so I am guessing the pump would need to push at least 30-50 gpm if everything is on.

I want them to change it all to 2" but my wife is hesitant to do it as she thinks they may not guarantee the pool plumbing. Is this a fight worth sticking to my guns for?

Reactions: Jwiederkehr
Its not horrible like your thinking. It's common to reduce the deck jets at the fitting, most take minimal water flow. It's way more important to have a valve on each one for balance. The bubblers need to be looped together if on one valve to have balance. What brand are you using. Usually 1.5 is the inlet size. If they ran 2" on both ends there was no need to go 1.5 in the middle. I use 1.5 homeruns for bubblers no issues you can crank a VS amd shoot them 10'. Have them replace the middle section to 2" if it bugs you the jets are fine as is if the jet fitting is in fact 3/4. The pump economy is marginal because these are show toys. They raise your PH you will have them all going at first and after the fun wears off they will go on when guests are over.

Reactions: cowboycasey
The were plumbed together with a tee on the shelf and a single line out to the pump separate from the jets. I will have to take a look tomorrow again, they looked small sticking out so I guessed 3/4. I assumed Jandy as that is who the builder users, but they aren't lighted and I couldn't find non-lighted ones by Jandy. I'll also text the sales guy to find out the exact ones.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.