Plumbing elbows

Dec 10, 2016
Austin, TX
So, I have read various threads and comments about plumbing elbows.

I have read several comments about people using sweep elbows. The only sweep elbows I can find are DWV at the box stores. Are people actually using DWV elbows in pool plumbing, or do you have to find them at a pool wholesale supplier or plumbing supplier?

I doubt I would use a DWV elbow in a pool over taking a higher head loss. Rather not have leaks.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowes in the Dallas area has them in a different part of the plumbing section. Big section of dwv and small section of schedule 40. Definitely worth finding some schedule 40.

I used them on mine but I noticed the ones I got have a relatively small internal diameter, so for me I doubt it helps. Mine are 2" and when I look at them compared to a regular 2" 90 it just struck me that I might not have gained much. Looks really cool though!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think the long sweeps look really cool but, over and over, mas985 (our hydraulics expert), has been telling us that the head loss saved over regular 90's is minuscule and simply not worth considering.

A timely topic I also wondered about. I'm getting ready to relocate the pump and filter closer to the pool and onto a large concrete base instead of a small cracked pad. I'll stick with using regular 90's and forget about sweeps. I am taking the opportunity to use larger 2" pipe and fittings in as many places as I can while eliminating a few extra turns and splices added over the years by past owners. I'm also making more room overall to do maintenance work and moving all electrical panels, switches, etc. higher for better access.

Upgrading to 2" pipe is a good choice. At 50 gpm, there is about 14.4 feet of head loss per 100' of 1.5" pvc pipe vs. about 4.3 feet of head loss per 100 ' of 2" pvc pipe.

A 1.5" regular 90 is equivalent to about 7.5' feet of pipe vs about 4 feet of pipe for a sweep 90. A regular 2" 90 is equivalent to about 8.6 feet of straight pipe vs. about 5.7 feet for a sweep 90.

At 50 gpm
1.5" regular 90.....1.08 ft head
1.5" sweep 90......0.576 ft head
2" regular 90........0.370 ft head
2" Sweep 90.........0.245 ft head

A 1.5" regular 90 adds about 0.5 feet of head more than a sweep 90 (at 50 gpm). So, even with 6 90s, it's only about 3 feet of head difference.

A 2" regular 90 is only about 0.125 feet of head loss more than a sweep 90 (at 50 gpm).

Sizing the pipe correctly is the most important factor. Typically, you want to keep suction plumbing to below 6 feet per second and return pipe to less than 8 feet per second.

At 1.5" pvc at 50 gpm the water travels at 7.88 feet per second vs. 4.78 feet per second in 2" pipe. This makes the system quieter as well.

Reactions: dakshun
Thanks for the further data...I can't change the pipe diameters to and from the pool once it goes under the patio but I will still be able to to move the pump and filter about 10' closer to the pool (and electrical service) while simplifying the connections. The pump will be in a cooler area and also located further from a bedroom. This rework will also get the pump and filter away from my A/C unit so those repairmen don't step or sit on my pipes. Should be a win-win all around. I have the means to heat-bend but probably won't need that skill in the pump area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A typical sch 40 glue joint on a fitting is about an 1 1/4". Every time you make a 90 degree corner that is two glue joint within 3-5". By heat bending and going around I can use 20' sticks with bells that are 3" instead. When I have to put in a fitting that is the way it goes.

A typical sch 40 glue joint on a fitting is about an 1 1/4". Every time you make a 90 degree corner that is two glue joint within 3-5". By heat bending and going around I can use 20' sticks with bells that are 3" instead. When I have to put in a fitting that is the way it goes.

How hard is it to heat bend pipe?

How large of a pipe can you heat bend reasonably well?

I will have 1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3" pipe in my system.

Thanks

Bending pipe or swept 90s works fine underground but I wouldn't do on the equipment pad or it might end up looking like this:

PlumbingPadView4.jpg

Really not worth the effort in my mind. Just get a two speed or VS pump and run at lower speeds.

I hope we get to see some heat bends on a normal pool (i.e. not 15 valves, lol). Sounds like fun. I'm guessing you put a spring inside before bending, but I'm wondering how you heat them - something other than a heat gun? It sounds challenging but do-able measuring to get from one fixture to the next without fittings.

Good for you for mastering something different! I have a tricky spot from pump to filter because of where I like to have my flow meter, and bending might be perfect for me. I don't mind the time to do it, because it's my own project and free time :)

I hope we get to see some heat bends on a normal pool (i.e. not 15 valves, lol). Sounds like fun. I'm guessing you put a spring inside before bending, but I'm wondering how you heat them - something other than a heat gun? It sounds challenging but do-able measuring to get from one fixture to the next without fittings.

Good for you for mastering something different! I have a tricky spot from pump to filter because of where I like to have my flow meter, and bending might be perfect for me. I don't mind the time to do it, because it's my own project and free time :)

YouTube has a bunch of videos of people bending 2" with a large propane torch (not a soldering torch). I was curious how large you can go before things get too difficult.

YouTube has a bunch of videos of people bending 2" with a large propane torch (not a soldering torch). I was curious how large you can go before things get too difficult.

Best way to bend PVC pipe is to fill it with high quality fill sand and then heat and bend. The sand keeps the pipe from crimping when you bend it and helps to distribute the heat from the propane torch more evenly. Just get a good pair of BBQ gloves (Nomex) and some large metal funnels so you can handle hot pipes and sand without burning yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.