Plumbing best practices

Apr 27, 2017
Miami FL
I'm about to re-pipe my setup. Got some nice Jandy NeverLube valves. Per instructions I'm already got WeldOn 724 and matching primer.

Now, in regards to fittings, coupling, and piping, can someone please point me to a good source of "best practices" for pool plumbing? Like, what to avoid, what fittings work better than others, etc.

Big thank you!

Southflorida...
I just did the same thing recently. You can read through the intense thread that I started Re-Plumbing the Pool Equipment Pad, where I asked lots of questions here and got a lot of good advice.

Please note my synopsis towards the end of the thread (some advice based on my experiences).

Pay close attention to what you're buying. There are white plastic fittings that are only suitable for drains and vents -- read: no pressure -- and they are not what you want. Make sure nobody put the wrong one in the bin. Secondly, or maybe even primarily, remember that nothing lasts forever. That means some day somebody is going to have to replace a pump or a valve or a filter or something and that somebody might be you. Make it easy and use unions. Maybe even buy a spare union so you'll have a new end with the right threads waiting. If you're prepared for a disaster, it'll never happen. ;-)

Make it easy and use unions. Maybe even buy a spare union so you'll have a new end with the right threads waiting. If you're prepared for a disaster, it'll never happen. ;-)[/QUOTE]
Good point
Get a couple, Like what happened to me, I purchased from Lowes and 2 years later they switched suppliers, different unions! different threads.
Most likely not the union itself, but if you remove for closing all the time, o-rings may shrink, O-rings may be different, and at least you will have one from a new union to swap with.

I used Praher High Temp Unions to connect the plumping to the -
Pump Suction and Return inlets
Filter Multi-Port valve.

Schedule 80 CPVC (male adapters, Pipe) Unions, etc.) for connections to the heater (18" out).

All elbows I used were LASCO 90 degree "Sweep" ells) - Some might say that sweep ells doesn't matter, but I did my own research and found that it DOES matter. They cost slightly more, but they reduce head loss and increase flow. Like Richard 320 pointed out. BE CAREFUL with those fittings (especially sweep ells). Make sure they are schedule 40 and not for drains and vents. You can find the LASCO POOL SWEEP ELLS on the internet or any pool distributor in your area.

Use a quality POOL never lube type diverter valve (Jandy, Pentair) for ALL VALVES.

I also used unions in my plumbing as well (especially when connecting to any equipment (pumps, filter, heater etc.) The Praher's are unions. If you plan to incorporate an IntelliChlor in your rebuild. it will come with it's own unions.

Just a few resources that you might find helpful -

Buy PVC Fittings Pipes on Sale at the Best Prices Online
Pool/Spa

https://formufit.com/pages/pvc-101
Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?
jandy vs pentair valves
Pump Unions for IntelliFlo - Threaded 2" w/O-Rings (2 Union Sets)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.