Plumbing Advice - Can I cut out my multi-port and couple a new one in with this little space left?

rosensama

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi All,

My multi-port valve on my sand filter has a hairline crack. Some days it trickles and others it sprays. Seems like it's time for a new one. Trouble is that my pad plumbing has been patched enough (mainly to add a SWG) that I'm not sure there's enough room to make a cut and couple it back together. I wouldn't really mind doing more new pipe except for the SWG manifold is cemented on and would like to avoid the cost of replacing that.

I've attached some pictures. There's just over 4 inches of the grey pipe between the valve and the current coupling. By my measurement couplings are about 3 inches once inline, so maybe I could get this to work?

What do y'all think?

IMG_20200727_192818.jpgIMG_20200727_192755.jpg

Thanks,
Rob

I dont see a problems since cutting and adding a union will probably set you back 1 inch if you buy the same size filter. Unions on both pipes. So this doesn't happen again.
Thanks. Can you explain what it means that it will "set me back 1 inch"? Do you mean that if I cut it near the valve, the length of the union will give me an extra inch in length to make up for lost pipe, and then some?

I think on the lower pipe that works since I can cut so close to the valve.

On the upper pipe there's plenty of room to cut and use a coupler to put in a segment with a union on it.

Is that what you meant?

Update to those playing along. I've got a Hayward SP0714T and two Hayward SP14953S unions on hand and tried a dry assembly. Turns out the union collars are too wide and can't fit side by side. Gonna have to try out some other models that are narrower. Preferable with enough space between them so I can slip a strap wrench through if they should get too tight.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.